Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me or is finding charging rates for a Leaf on different plugs super hard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i.e. miles per hour on 5-20R vs 5-15. To Tesla's credit they have an interactive applet that answers all your questions..
Quoting "miles per hour" for charging is problematic because it depends how far you personally can drive per kWh
Which is why they all give you the kWh or - after that its just the math and knowing what you are feeding your car.
Its the same for any EV.
110V @ 12A = 1200W (1.2KW)
220V @ 30A = 6600W (6.6KW)
etc etc
Leaf with claimed 24KW battery is about 4-5 hour to full from totally empty with a 6.6K charge - substantially longer on 110, hence "trickle" charge

Quoting "miles per hour" for charging is problematic because it depends how far you personally can drive per kWh
Which is why they all give you the kWh or - after that its just the math and knowing what you are feeding your car.
Its the same for any EV.
110V @ 12A = 1200W (1.2KW)
220V @ 30A = 6600W (6.6KW)
etc etc
Leaf with claimed 24KW battery is about 4-5 hour to full from totally empty with a 6.6K charge - substantially longer on 110, hence "trickle" charge

So nothing more from 5-20R?

Probably better asking at mynissanleaf.com.

(The following is what I believe is possible:)
- The stock EVSE does 12A
- 2011 and 2012 Leafs were limited to 12A on 120V.
- 2013 and later Leafs can charge at a higher current, 16A at least. I believe other people have demonstrated higher current. EVSEupgrade, which offers an upgrade of the stock EVSE, will upgrade the firmware to 16A if you show you have or buy from them ($20) an appropriate adapter with a T pin.

not with the included adapter (Charger/EVSE), that is 12amp only
On the Leaf it depends what charger is fitted to the car. Some early ones (and base models) max out at 3.3K charger, others max at 6.6K.
So it's limited by the combination of the wall plug, the EVSE (with the J1772 plug) and the charger inside the car.
Most folks will take the easy way out and install a wall mounted unit instead.

Tesla definitely does it best, their's comes with different adapters and can handle different voltages - its also much more expensive than the cheapo one the Nissan give you.
A modified Tesla one with a J1772 connector can be bought here JESLA™ is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!

But ClipperCreek or EMotorWerks both do a whole range of reasonable alternatives as well.