Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current charging rates vs older Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about adding a Model X from the 2016 through 2020 era to our Tesla fleet of one 2023 M3. Beside the usual focus on battery capacity, I have concerns about charging rates. Capacity is relatively easy to find in the original specs. Some dealers even list the current, fully charged range. However, charging rates are complex and not easy to come by.

We are really trying to determine if the older MX will charge fast enough on trip. We found in our half dozen or so trips that the M3 with Super Charging just about meets our charging needs: We stop for 15 - 30 minutes to get roughly 200 miles for our next hop. We like to drive at least 150 to 200 miles. It works.

From everything I've read, the 2016 - 2020 MX may not make our cut, but I'm still musing.

With the 2023 M3 as a standard, how much longer will the MX take to charge?

I was hoping to find more information comparing the current state of technology to the older MX line. eg if the current M3/Y capacilities allow a 20 minute stop on trips, how long would the older MX require? Specific questions:
1. Will the different models (70D, 90D, 100D) have different charging rates within the 20-80% SOC range?
2. What is that rate? My M3 rate is about 200 miles / 20 minutes
3. Within a model, does the charging rate improve significantly from 2016 to 2020?
Assumption is that the charger output is greater than the car's charging capacity. I'm assuming that the limitation is in the MX's cell chemistry, software and wire gauge.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!
Gerry

I'm thinking about adding a Model X from the 2016 through 2020 era to our Tesla fleet of one 2023 M3. Beside the usual focus on battery capacity, I have concerns about charging rates. Capacity is relatively easy to find in the original specs. Some dealers even list the current, fully charged range. However, charging rates are complex and not easy to come by.

We are really trying to determine if the older MX will charge fast enough on trip. We found in our half dozen or so trips that the M3 with Super Charging just about meets our charging needs: We stop for 15 - 30 minutes to get roughly 200 miles for our next hop. We like to drive at least 150 to 200 miles. It works.

From everything I've read, the 2016 - 2020 MX may not make our cut, but I'm still musing.

With the 2023 M3 as a standard, how much longer will the MX take to charge?

I was hoping to find more information comparing the current state of technology to the older MX line. eg if the current M3/Y capacilities allow a 20 minute stop on trips, how long would the older MX require? Specific questions:
1. Will the different models (70D, 90D, 100D) have different charging rates within the 20-80% SOC range?
2. What is that rate? My M3 rate is about 200 miles / 20 minutes
3. Within a model, does the charging rate improve significantly from 2016 to 2020?
Assumption is that the charger output is greater than the car's charging capacity. I'm assuming that the limitation is in the MX's cell chemistry, software and wire gauge.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!
Gerry
I went from a 2019 model x to a 2023 model x plaid and it’s a huge difference. I assuming the non-plaid charging rate is about the same. But the new 2023 maintains 250kw from 7-33 percent which was even better than my 2019 model 3 long range(I think peaks at 250 but only from like 10-20 percent). My 2019 model x only peaked at 180 and it was very short lived. Watch this YouTube Video it’s for the model S plaid but I’m experiencing similar charge times with the model x.

Reactions: Eric33432
MX 90D 2016. From 10% to 80% will be approx 40 min. Another 30-40 min from 80 to 100%. In cold weather much slower. Depend on battery temperature. Max power I saw 145 kW ( should be 140 by spec) but for very short period of time.
put in Google image search “tesla battery charging speed graph model x” and you will find your answer.

Reactions: TsKarma
Just plugged it in and says it will take 25 min to go from 20-80 percent. Which is about 200 miles on the plaid.
Thanks. That's comparable to my 2023 M3
MX 90D 2016. From 10% to 80% will be approx 40 min. Another 30-40 min from 80 to 100%. In cold weather much slower. Depend on battery temperature. Max power I saw 145 kW ( should be 140 by spec) but for very short period of time.
put in Google image search “tesla battery charging speed graph model x” and you will find your answer.
For 2016, the 90D (abalexab) is rated at 257 miles, If your current range is say 240 miles, 10-80% would give you 144 miles in 24 minutes. A little tight on a road trip.
The 2023 Plaid (Pintsized) does 200 miles in 25 minutes, similar to our 2023 M3.

We found that to be tolerable. So older models compromise road trip planning. I guess if you use slower speed chargers, the difference is smaller.

Thanks. That's comparable to my 2023 M3

For 2016, the 90D (abalexab) is rated at 257 miles, If your current range is say 240 miles, 10-80% would give you 144 miles in 24 minutes. A little tight on a road trip.
The 2023 Plaid (Pintsized) does 200 miles in 25 minutes, similar to our 2023 M3.

We found that to be tolerable. So older models compromise road trip planning. I guess if you use slower speed chargers, the difference is smaller.
I did recent trip from NYC to Toronto (little bit more than 500 ml one way) with total 2 hours for charging each way. Wife and 2 kids in the car. I agree - new cars taking charges much faster. No doubt. But these 2 hours we spend anyway for the restroom brakes and food stops. In most cases car was ready before we are.

Reactions: doghousePVD
It was 40 minutes last night for me to go from 20 to 80, which was the lowest I've been and longest charge so far. At 53% recorded charging at 77 kw (+28). At 71% was charging at 48kw (+43).

A few nights before was 100 kw at 45%.

That's pretty similar to what I usually get from my '17 MX.

By saying longest charge so far do you mean that usually it takes you less time to charge from 20% to 80%? If yes, what's the average charge time for you from 20% to 80%?