Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth going with a 3p PW installer for SGIP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few companies that sell Powerwalls other than Tesla directly. In general, they are more expensive than Tesla directly, but installation with a 3rd party may qualify for the SGIP incentive and offset the difference. As you are in northern California, you are likely in PG&E territory and may make it into Step 4 ($3,480.00 credit/Powerwall).

Below is a very short list of companies to consider:

(Why get a Powerwall?)

Do you guys think this is worth pursuing? Is the SGIP guaranteed or is there a possibility that I both overpay and get nothing? Will it make the installation timeframe (significantly) longer?

I am planning at 12kW system and was looking for 2-3 powerwalls but its very hard to justify the cost without SGIP. I will probably only get 1 (or none at all) unless I can secure it.

What would you guys advise?

(Why get a Powerwall?)

Do you guys think this is worth pursuing? Is the SGIP guaranteed or is there a possibility that I both overpay and get nothing? Will it make the installation timeframe (significantly) longer?

I am planning at 12kW system and was looking for 2-3 powerwalls but its very hard to justify the cost without SGIP. I will probably only get 1 (or none at all) unless I can secure it.

What would you guys advise?

Just did 10.7 kW and 2 PW from 3rd Party (Baker Home Energy), and not Tesla Energy, to get SGIP step 5 via SoCal Edison. Now waiting permission to operate.

Installer did all the legwork for reserving SGIP, and PAID for 5% application fee. Now I have a reservation for SGIP, awaiting completion/verification of PW install - then waiting for receiving the "incentive" - I heared ot takes 12-18 months.

I suggest that you check with PW installer that they have not exhausted their quota for current SGIP step, then having all details on who will and what are the installers responsibility as far as reserving SG incentive. Baker handled it all, I just signed docs - and got email notification from SCE about the reservation progress.

Reserving SGIP is first come, first served.

It does not prolong installation of Powerwalls.

For me, I was not going with PW without SGIP.

Goodluck.