Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my powerwall configured incorrectly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping the hive mind might be able to tell me what is wrong with my Powerwall 2 setup…

When I originally got this installed it was just a simple whole house backup. But after a couple of years and the installation of a heat pump whenever the grid went out the powerwall was unable to supply enough power for the pump and it would get into this infinite restart kind of loop until the grid was reinstated.

So I asked for the sub main with the heat pump on to be removed from the backup supply.

But originally I purchased direct from Tesla and then they left the NZ market to local installers and sent some guys who had only seen the second more integrated gateway. They did reconfigure this gateway and in this picture the red cable circled in yellow goes straight to the sub main from the mains input. And that’s all been working (as far as I was aware) perfectly for a couple of years.

IMG_2725.jpeg

But our supplier last year installed a smart meter so I now have decent grid supply data to compare and the powerwall and grid meter disagree on how much grid power we are consuming. The graphs are actually following the same pattern it’s just the grid meter reckons we are consuming significantly more power than the powerwall does. And it’s not like it correlates to when that bypass submain is being used more - in fact it seems to be at times when the powerwall thinks it’s supplying all our power but the grid meter says we are taking that from the grid.

The mains CT is on that picture just on the mains incoming line (red arrow). And this nest of a switchboard shows where the solar CT is located

IMG_2726.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg

So to be clear, if it means messing about with actual wiring I don’t want to be doing this but I’d appreciate some clear details on what I should be asking the installers to do for this particular gateway.

But if it’s just software config that might be now incorrect then I could probably fix that.

I’m also curious if anyone can tell me if this setup means that the powerwall/solar can supply power to that submain or if it only able to be powered from mains?

Reactions: davekdmd