Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MY PUP worth 10K?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price drop of the LR it effectively makes the PUP option an additional $10K.

I was questioning whether it was worth it at an extra $7K...

How important to you are the performance upgrade features and quicker acceleration? I have owned some fast race cars and sub 4 second 0-60 acceleration is not as important to me as it used to be, but for many it’s THE most important thing. I like the extra range and don’t care for the lowered suspension and largest wheel configuration, but again, those could be important features for many people that prefer PUP. Would I pay an extra $10k? No way. For me, not even an extra $2k, but that’s just me. I am sure Tesla has focus group tested the price point difference and done the financial pro-forma. At the end of the day, it’s nice to have choices and the car is awesome either way.

Only you can decide worth. The 3.5s time is truly breathtaking speed relative to the already very zippy 4.8s of the LR.

The 3 and Y performance upgrades are the cheapest performance upgrades of any cars on the market to get a car to sub 4s 0-60. Worth it? Up to you.

enjoy!

It's like comparing a fashion brand items vs generic brand items you see in a shopping mall. Does Gucci/Louis Vuitton/Hermes handbags that much better than a generic brand handbags? Well, there's a brand image and quality attached to it. Most of all, it's a very personal decision depends on how you justify any major purchase. If you are only keeping the car for less than 5 year or less, you won't get much more resale value for the upgrade. If the road conditions around the area you drive the most aren't suitable for the 21" wheels, you probably shouldn't upgrade it.

It's like comparing a fashion brand items vs generic brand items you see in a shopping mall. Does Gucci/Louis Vuitton/Hermes handbags that much better than a generic brand handbags? Well, there's a brand image and quality attached to it. Most of all, it's a very personal decision depends on how you justify any major purchase. If you are only keeping the car for less than 5 year or less, you won't get much more resale value for the upgrade. If the road conditions around the area you drive the most aren't suitable for the 21" wheels, you probably shouldn't upgrade it.
That’s the thing...it’s not really comparable in that sense.

Nothing differentiates the Performance trim from the standard trim outside of Software and brakes. There are no meaningful interior or exterior refinements. I’m paying for a license I cannot take with me. Which is the same reason I don’t buy FSD.

It was more palatable when the price gap was not into the 5 figures.

Nothing differentiates the Performance trim from the standard trim outside of Software and brakes. There are no meaningful interior or exterior refinements. I’m paying for a license I cannot take with me. Which is the same reason I don’t buy FSD.

Rear motors are different too, but I agree.

The decision is subjective. Having owned a model 3 performance and 800hp ICE cars I can say the Model Y price point is worth it.

Take this with a grain of salt but with some perspective: A 2020 performance Model Y is $1000 more than an early adopter (2017) Model 3 Long Range (single motor, FSD, non-performance).

MY Performance gets faster acceleration, higher top speed, 21" wheels, performance brake, and a spoiler. Would anyone pay $10k for that? Compare this upgrade to any traditional day manufacturer, it's a bargain (just check out Porsche 911 vs 911S vs 9114S...etc). But is it necessary, that's for the individual to decide.

I believe your argument is that software upgrade doesn't hold a value or worth as much as a hardware value. I think that's a highly debatable topic. As for FSD, I can see your point (and agree) that you own the software and you should have power to take it with you to the next car.