Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to engage a 'standard' cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The existing system is unusable and hoping there's something I'm missing. Please forgive me if I'm off base on anything as this is my first post on any internet forum, which probably shows my frustration : (

I Hoping I'm being dumb and missing maybe something not so obvious.

Below is an explanation on why current system doesn't work for me, it may be long winded, but I wanted to explain clearly.

I go to/from work daily on a 9-mile stretch of country road with corn fields, blueberry fields and very spread-out housing.

Cruise control continually goes between 25 and 45, never using the correct 55mph implied by no speed limit sign (Michigan).

The 25mph zones are new within the last couple months, before that I've never seen a 25mph zone therefore the cruise was somewhat usable, but as of late cruise (or FSD) is not usable.

It seems to vary between four and six 25mph 'Tesla' created zones, the 25mph zones are maybe 100ft long and will vary slightly in position.

I'm fairly certain these are Tesla generated points and not derived from maps as I don't believe there's a map in the world that will have a 25mph zone for this stretch of road.

Here's a breakdown of the Actual vs *Ford vs Tesla speed limit interpretations:

Actual: 55 (entire distance)

Ford: 55 (entire distance)

Tesla: 45 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 45 -> 25 -> 40 -> 45 ( and never does hit the actual 55 )

*Note: 2018 Ford Explorer with Mobileye (also shows 55 on generated cluster graphics, entire distance )

Solution
I believe I found something that works. In the Autopilot menu there's a 3 button selection containing Traffic Aware, Autosteer or FSD

Set this on Traffic Aware and it no longer computes the 25mph zones AND the speed doesn't change when it shows a speed limit change

I set it on 55mph on the full stretch and it never slowed down to the 40 or 45 mph

This is based on only two trips so no promises here
The problem with Tesla Smart Cruise is it can be wrong if someone has coded it incorrectly (25MPH instead of 40MPH).

We just hope the mistakes will get less often as the system advances. That's why your 25 MPH wasn't a problem until someone "fixed" it and created a new issue of 25MPH.

So, we need to be patient because it has to do it right; otherwise, robotaxi will never be here.

You can tweet Elon Musk to fix it because I don't think Service Center has the training or competency to manually code the speed correctly for your stretch of road.

You can also file an NHTSA complaint if you think a sudden decrease from 40 MPH to 25 is safety-related. Tesla will have to legally answer to NHTSA complaints.
That's a terrible idea reporting to the NHTSA. Almost all of their forced changes have resulted in worse experience for us and loss of features.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
I believe I found something that works. In the Autopilot menu there's a 3 button selection containing Traffic Aware, Autosteer or FSD

Set this on Traffic Aware and it no longer computes the 25mph zones AND the speed doesn't change when it shows a speed limit change

I set it on 55mph on the full stretch and it never slowed down to the 40 or 45 mph

This is based on only two trips so no promises here

Upvote 0
Solution