Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to engage a 'standard' cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The existing system is unusable and hoping there's something I'm missing. Please forgive me if I'm off base on anything as this is my first post on any internet forum, which probably shows my frustration : (

I Hoping I'm being dumb and missing maybe something not so obvious.

Below is an explanation on why current system doesn't work for me, it may be long winded, but I wanted to explain clearly.

I go to/from work daily on a 9-mile stretch of country road with corn fields, blueberry fields and very spread-out housing.

Cruise control continually goes between 25 and 45, never using the correct 55mph implied by no speed limit sign (Michigan).

The 25mph zones are new within the last couple months, before that I've never seen a 25mph zone therefore the cruise was somewhat usable, but as of late cruise (or FSD) is not usable.

It seems to vary between four and six 25mph 'Tesla' created zones, the 25mph zones are maybe 100ft long and will vary slightly in position.

I'm fairly certain these are Tesla generated points and not derived from maps as I don't believe there's a map in the world that will have a 25mph zone for this stretch of road.

Here's a breakdown of the Actual vs *Ford vs Tesla speed limit interpretations:

Actual: 55 (entire distance)

Ford: 55 (entire distance)

Tesla: 45 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 45 -> 25 -> 40 -> 45 ( and never does hit the actual 55 )

*Note: 2018 Ford Explorer with Mobileye (also shows 55 on generated cluster graphics, entire distance )

Solution
I believe I found something that works. In the Autopilot menu there's a 3 button selection containing Traffic Aware, Autosteer or FSD

Set this on Traffic Aware and it no longer computes the 25mph zones AND the speed doesn't change when it shows a speed limit change

I set it on 55mph on the full stretch and it never slowed down to the 40 or 45 mph

This is based on only two trips so no promises here
The existing system is unusable and hoping there's something I'm missing. Please forgive me if I'm off base on anything as this is my first post on any internet forum, which probably shows my frustration : (

Below is an explanation on why current system doesn't work for me, it may be long winded, but I wanted to explain clearly.

I go to/from work daily on a 9-mile stretch of country road with corn fields, blueberry fields and very spread-out housing.

Cruise control continually goes between 25 and 45, never using the correct 55mph implied by no speed limit sign (Michigan).

The 25mph zones are new within the last couple months, before that I've never seen a 25mph zone therefore the cruise was somewhat usable, but as of late cruise (or FSD) is not usable.

It seems to vary between four and six 25mph 'Tesla' created zones, the 25mph zones are maybe 100ft long and will vary slightly in position.

I'm fairly certain these are Tesla generated points and not derived from maps as I don't believe there's a map in the world that will have a 25mph zone for this stretch of road.

Tesla: 45 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 40 -> 25 -> 45 -> 25 -> 40 -> 45 ( and never does hit the actual 55 )

*Note: 2018 Ford Explorer with Mobileye (also shows 55 on generated cluster graphics, entire distance )

Tesla does not offer "dumb" cruise control. But you can easily use the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel to adjust the cruise control speed to what you want.

Upvote 0
Something like:

"You can choose whether Traffic-Aware Cruise Control engages at the currently detected speed limit or your current driving speed. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed. If you choose to engage Traffic-Aware Cruise Control at the currently detected speed limit, you can specify an offset. Touch Set Speed Offset. You can choose a Fixed offset, in which the cruising speed adjusts by a specific number of km/h on all roads, or a Percentage offset, in which the cruising speed is adjusted as a percentage of the road's detected speed limit."

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Tesla does not offer "dumb" cruise control. But you can easily use the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel to adjust the cruise control speed to what you want.

If a road is coded by Tesla as a highway or freeway, then the only cruise speed limitation is 90 for radar Tesla and 85 for radarless Tesla.

When a road is not coded as a highway or freeway, the maximum speed increase would be 5 more. When the car arrives at a 25 mph coded stretch, the maximum speed would be 30 mph. To go above that, Tesla Cruise must be disabled.

Reactions: diplomat33
Upvote 0
I saw this behavior on a newer freeway in WV (35 near the ohio border), every 1/2 mile or so the speed would reset to 25. No form of AP or FSD was usable as within a minute it would reset the speed. This has been like this for at least 2 years, with the more recent FSD beta it no longer tries to turn off the highway at every dirt road exit to get 'on route' but it does the continuous slowing down.

V11 FSD doesn't allow you to even engage the cruise at the current speed (that option is permanently greyed out in FSD), all you can do is get some % or offset from their dodgy map data.

Reactions: 02bluesuperroo
Upvote 0
...frustration...
You bought the wrong car if you want a dumb cruise. That is not allowable in any Tesla that has a smart cruise. Older Teslas do have a dumb cruise, including those who didn't want to pay an additional fee for AP1 or $35,000 AP2-equipped Tesla Model 3.

So technologically, a dumb cruise in Tesla can be done. Yes, it CAN be done if Tesla is willing! Remember: $35,000 Tesla Model 3 with Ap2 hardware comes with a dumb cruise but once you pay for a smart cruise, Tesla would not downgrade it to a dumb cruise.

All I can do is feel sorry for you.

In the meantime, you might want to use the Smart Cruise ONLY without Autosteer so that you can press on the accelerator to increase your speed additionally beyond the 5 additional mph that Autosteer allows.

That means without Autosteer and you are only on Smart Cruise, you can press on your accelerator to go at the speed of 90 or 85 MPH (depending radar or radarless) even when the road is coded as 25 MPH! I have successfully done this since I first bought FSD in 2017 or the past 6 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Can you check your GPS? When you're on a country road, zoom in and make sure your arrow is showing exactly where it should be. If the arrow is even a little off the road, it can cause problems.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't use the dumb, more like an intelligent cruise, like my 2007 G35 and all cars I've had afterword's. Always been my favorite feature of the cars,

Having had the car for nearly two years, a 2021 model S and still not 100% sure on cruise control capabilities makes me feel better that I didn't understand this before I bought the car.

I'm really only asking because I currently have a torn meniscus and sleeping and driving are the most difficult as far as pain, although not harmful so I'm told. And it's just that much helpful to have cruise to/from work to avoid the awkward angle of the knee on the pedal for long periods.

Because of this I've been driving my Explorer, but I really miss my car : - (

I was really hoping someone would chiming in like, 'hold the stalk for 3 seconds' or 'pull the stalk twice' for something to just disengage the 'Tesla speed best guess' scenerio. I've stumbled on other things : - )

I really wish there was a way Tesla could drive or beware of this, there are literally 15 'Tesla' speed changes where there are actually 0

Upvote 0
I wouldn't use the dumb, more like an intelligent cruise, like my 2007 G35 and all cars I've had afterword's. Always been my favorite feature of the cars,

Having had the car for nearly two years, a 2021 model S and still not 100% sure on cruise control capabilities makes me feel better that I didn't understand this before I bought the car.

I'm really only asking because I currently have a torn meniscus and sleeping and driving are the most difficult as far as pain, although not harmful so I'm told. And it's just that much helpful to have cruise to/from work to avoid the awkward angle of the knee on the pedal for long periods.

I was really hoping someone would chiming in like, 'hold the stalk for 3 seconds' or 'pull the stalk twice' for something to just disengage the 'Tesla speed best guess' scenerio. I've stumbled on other things : - )

I really wish there was a way Tesla could drive or beware of this, there are literally 15 'Tesla' speed changes where there are actually 0
It's worth trying to go into the OpenStreetMap system and edit the metadata about your road. I have never done it personally but people claim that it's possible to do. Try here OpenStreetMap

Upvote 0

We get it - and I'm trying to help. If your GPS is off (which there was a batch of cars that went out where the cabin camera was interfering with GPS and Tesla has to replace the cabin camera enclosure to solve the GPS issue), it can cause errors like you're having because the car thinks it's somewhere else and adjusts the speed based on that road.

Upvote 0
It's a policy decision by Tesla. They could easily make this a setting but they won't. Also, TACC uses AP code so it will slow down for curves even if the car is perfectly capable of taking the curve at the set speed. It also chooses to do this just after you've entered the curve which is the worst possible time from a stability standpoint.

I wish there was a dumb cruise option - phantom braking is still a huge issue.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Upvote 0

The problem with Tesla Smart Cruise is it can be wrong if someone has coded it incorrectly (25MPH instead of 40MPH).

We just hope the mistakes will get less often as the system advances. That's why your 25 MPH wasn't a problem until someone "fixed" it and created a new issue of 25MPH.

So, we need to be patient because it has to do it right; otherwise, robotaxi will never be here.

You can tweet Elon Musk to fix it because I don't think Service Center has the training or competency to manually code the speed correctly for your stretch of road.

You can also file an NHTSA complaint if you think a sudden decrease from 40 MPH to 25 is safety-related. Tesla will have to legally answer to NHTSA complaints.

Last edited:
Upvote 0