Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there no way to reset your car if the center panel stops working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried it your way and it didn't work. I've never had a problem in 6+ years of ownership, until this time. This time I can't reset the center panel.
FWIW, about eight of the last ten upgrades didn't properly come back up, but I've always been able to recover. No idea why yours didn't.

I had the same problem. Both screens failed to come up after 2019.2.1 (? I think)

My wife thought the car was "dead" so I called Tesla emergency roadside assistance. They sent a tow truck and had to reinstall / reboot at the service center. While they had the car for the weekend before they got to it, the fix was same day.

edit: Normal scroll wheel reboots did nothing. I was able to drive the car home, but with no dash / speedo, Tesla offered to pick it up for free.

I had the same problem. Both screens failed to come up after 2019.2.1 (? I think)

My wife thought the car was "dead" so I called Tesla emergency roadside assistance. They sent a tow truck and had to reinstall / reboot at the service center. While they had the car for the weekend before they got to it, the fix was same day.

edit: Normal scroll wheel reboots did nothing. I was able to drive the car home, but with no dash / speedo, Tesla offered to pick it up for free.

When I dropped my car off I was told something like 2019.2.12 (and/or 2.16) had a bug that messed you up on a later upgrade. They figured that was what happened to me. Hope it comes back. This was the first os upgrade problem I had in 6 years.

Recovery was fast at the service center, once they got to it. I've had the car back for ~10 days, and I've already gotten another update to 2019.20.4.2

Tesla let me buy an extended warranty, and it turns out that I did need a panel replacement and related things including sd card but it was covered by the new extended warranty. They also replaced my sd card (16 gb is the size, by the way). I'm suspicious that this problem was cased by just an old sd card failing after 4+ years of use. Some people have reported their suspicion of that problem. So I'm happy with the outcome overall. But even better would be not having this problem :)

This suggests something unrelated, with the newer cars having the ability to store camera images on the owner's sd card (which I had that but I'm a 2015 car), it suggests that tesla should have a hidden or internal 3rd customer usb slob where on new cars you could put the card in a more secure place. And maybe if that internal sd card is failing, then make that customer replaceable, like win-shield wipers :)