Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a normal repeater photo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is a small area in the upper left or right of the videos taken by the car (depends on whether left or right repeater). It looks like a small part of the lens is blocked.
When I asked service about this they said yes it's normal - can't be fixed (or maybe they don't want to), but I don't remember seeing this in youtube videos and I'm just wondering if it was a lazy tech or this is "Tesla standard"?

Attachments

• Screenshot (82).png
    Screenshot (82).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
Yeah, normal. Just YouTube Tesla repeater sentry and you’ll get tons of videos with the fish eye type cut off in the top corner.

It’s no biggie - remember, this tech and process didn’t even exist a year ago.

Samples:

Reactions: sceptic
Yes perfectly normal view. What you are seeing is part of the side view mirror. The side repeater cameras are further front of it. Your back up camera will have a bit of fisheye look to it and that's perfectly normal as well.

Yes perfectly normal view. What you are seeing is part of the side view mirror. The side repeater cameras are further front of it. Your back up camera will have a bit of fisheye look to it and that's perfectly normal as well.
It's not the side view mirror I can see, it's the grey triangle in the upper left or right corner (depending on whether it is the left or right repeater) that looks like part of the lens is blocked.

It's not the side view mirror I can see, it's the grey triangle in the upper left or right corner (depending on whether it is the left or right repeater) that looks like part of the lens is blocked.

I'm pretty sure that what you are seeing is the camera catching part of the housing around the side repeater. It's on everyone's photos.

repeater view - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sceptic
Well it wasn’t built with the intention of using it as a dash camera and it did what Tesla needed it to do. No one expects it to be National Geo award winning photo. The housing might also be used to position check all the installed side repeater cameras so they are lined up at a particular setting, so as a reference point. Remember the camera’s purpose was for AP use. Guess you could always return your car and buy something else if you don’t like the camera view.

Has anyone noticed a portion of the repeater video looking green and pixely? I finally got around to setting up a drive for Sentry yesterday and that's the first thing I noticed when reviewing video. The problem seems to go away when there’s motion of any kind (a car, me, a pet) but when the cameras are filming and everything in view is still the bottom third or so of the screen appears green and pixelated. Only the repeaters, not the dash cam.

Tons of comments about the green corruption on some of the videos here on the board. Been a factor for a while now. I notice on mine it's generally at the beginning of the video and does clear up usually as the video progresses. Also seen pixelated video generally at the bottom of the image as well. Most of my videos however are pretty good and seem to have a lot of detail. I don't think anyone here is certain why this happens (Tesla is aware of the dashcam issues). I think we are pretty sure however that it's software related not device media related as people have switched out different USB devices and still see it regardless.

Since you are new to the dashcam/sentry mode, I'll ask what capacity USB flashdrive are you using? Do read the 5/16/19 manual on Sentry (various aspects to be aware of) so you don't miss out on capturing something that could have saved you money during an insurance claim.

Last edited:
Tons of comments about the green corruption on some of the videos here on the board. Been a factor for a while now. I notice on mine it's generally at the beginning of the video and does clear up usually as the video progresses. Also seen pixelated video generally at the bottom of the image as well. Most of my videos however are pretty good and seem to have a lot of detail. I don't think anyone here is certain why this happens (Tesla is aware of the dashcam issues). I think we are pretty sure however that it's software related not device media related as people have switched out different USB devices and still see it regardless.

Since you are new to the dashcam/sentry mode, I'll ask what capacity USB flashdrive are you using? Do read the 5/16/19 manual on Sentry (various aspects to be aware of) so you don't miss out on capturing something that could have saved you money during an insurance claim.

Thanks for the reply. I’m using a 256 GB flash drive which seems to be enough for now. I will read the manual, thanks for the link!

Reactions: SMAlset