Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, backup cameras are smooth in the 2023 Holiday Update!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a frame rate junky that loves smoothness, this is something I wanted for a long, long time. Tesla finally implemented hardware video decoding on MCU2 with the 2023 holiday update! This has lots of benefits that I'm going to geek out about.

Because of this, all 3 cameras in the backup camera view is much smoother. Previously, the backup camera was by my eye's estimate running at approximately 24fps, and the side cameras are ~15fps. What's worse is that it was dropping frames randomly, so the frame rate was stuttering and inconsistent and inconsistent across the 3 camera views. Now, the videos are clearly much smoother, and running at the full 36fps, which is the max fps AP2 cameras are capable of.

This also affects the dashcam viewer. Dashcam videos play much smoother, seeking is much faster. It's a beauty for a frame rate junky like me.

Technical stuff:
How is this possible? Tesla used to play the video streams from the 3/4 different cameras using the CPU to decode. The Atom CPU in MCU2 isn't fast enough to decode 3 simultaneous streams of videos without dropping frames, which is why the backup camera can be jerky. But there's a dedicated hardware video decoder on the Atom (capable of simultaneously decoding 15 1080p30 videos), and Tesla finally started taking full advantage of the hardware decoder and because of that all camera views can be played at full frame rate and full resolution completely smoothly, freeing up an enormous amount of CPU cycles for other things.

This has other benefits:

Blind spot camera resolution is much better. It takes about 0.5 to 1 second to start playing a video. Because the left/right repeater cameras need to show up immediately when the blinker is on, Tesla was just playing the 2 video streams for the left/right repeaters in the background, regardless if the blinkers are on. This way the video can pop up immediately when the blinkers are on. But this is taxing on the CPU, and it's a constant burden, so Tesla used a much lower resolution and bitrate video for the repeaters in order to reduce the CPU load. But you can clearly see the blocking artifacts in the videos during motion because of the low bitrate. Now, with hardware decoding, there's no performance penalty, so Tesla is directly playing the same high bitrate video stream used for the dashcam on the screen. It's smoother and higher video quality, it's wonderful!

Maps loading is noticeably faster. Because video decoding is offloaded to the hardware decoder, CPU utilization is down dramatically, and therefore there's a lot more CPU cycles available for maps to load noticeably faster than before.

Unfortunately, there is no hardware video decoding for Tesla Theater apps like YouTube and Netflix. Tesla Theater apps are webapps run on browsers, which is Chromium on Tesla. However, Google has stated they do not want to enable hardware acceleration support for Chromium on Linux. Therefore, all video is CPU decoded on the browser.

Pro tip: When playing YouTube, choose 1440p. YouTube sends AV1 videos for 1080p and below, because AV1 is 30-50% more efficient than VP9. But AV1 is much slower to decode than VP9, and therefore MCU2 can't play 1080p AV1 smoothly. However, MCU2 can (almost) decode 1440p VP9, with ~5-10% dropped frames, which isn't too visible, way better than ~30% dropped frames on 1080p AV1. So instead of dropping to 720p, go up to 1440p instead. It's smoother and higher video quality.

Interior_of_Model_3.jpg

"Interior of Model 3" by Leo Nguyen is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
You mention the dashcam player is dog slow. Are you on the 2023.44 holiday update? If you are, and it is still slow, then it very likely means Tesla is only giving this hardware accelerated video feature to a percentage of users (which will expand with time). That would make sense, as that's pretty common practice for rolling out new software features.
No, I'm still on 2022.44 firmware (as I noted I was on 2022 firmware). I was staged for a different 2023 firmware prior to the recall (it has downloaded already), but a map update cleared that. This past weekend I got notification for 2023.44.30.8 and it started downloading, but it seemed to not finish and cleared itself (maybe because 2023.44.30.9 just dropped).

This update has so many big reports, I'm iffy about installing. I would prefer to install the version prior to the recall and wait for all the bugs to be fixed.

Can anyone confirm if they cover the internal camera on this update, does that disable ap? i.e. does the driver alertness detection stop AP from working if the internal camera is covered? Or does it just allow AP as usual?

@BrianZ What was your source for this info? Do you have an MCU2 Tesla where the backup cam seemed to improve greatly with a recent software update?

As best I can tell this improvement was never rolled out to my 2021 MCU2 Model 3, not with its current 2024.2.7 software or any prior version.

I'm sure you meant well in sharing this. I'm hoping what you described is from a legit source, not just a rumor, and Tesla still plans to make it happen. 🙂

Last edited:
@BrianZ What was your source for this info? Do you have an MCU2 Tesla where the backup cam seemed to improve greatly with a recent software update?

As best I can tell this improvement was never rolled out to my 2021 MCU2 Model 3, not with its current 2024.2.7 software or any prior version.

I'm sure you meant well in sharing this. I'm hoping what you described is from a legit source, not just a rumor, and Tesla still plans to make it happen. 🙂

Yes I have multiple MCU2 Tesla's and the backup cam improved immensely with the holiday update. The difference is massive.