Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this rust on my door? Adhesive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't notice this splotch inside of the rear passenger side door on delivery in March (Dec build). I noticed it when looking into installing additional door seals and maybe PPF.

Has anybody seen anything like this? I don't want to start stabbing it with a pick quite yet.

Attachments

• IMG_9696.JPG
    IMG_9696.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for the feedback all, I thought only the hood was aluminum. Should have checked with a magnet.

Any long term effects of this being left alone? I'm more of a mechanical guy and leave body to the professionals. I'm more worried about the long term if the paint wasn't applied on a good surface.

luckily your'e in the bay area...nice and dry for the most part. If you really want to freak out, look above the license plate frame area (where the rear view camera is located), it's pretty gnarly up there. Definitely not applying Steve Jobs' obsession with the quality of the unseen.

Adhesive, and painting over sealants/adhesive is very common. I'm OCD and would be fine with it, especially given the alternative, which would be to sand down to metal and start over....on the whole door. No way I'd want aftermarket work on pearl white if it could be avoided.

luckily your'e in the bay area...nice and dry for the most part. If you really want to freak out, look above the license plate frame area (where the rear view camera is located), it's pretty gnarly up there. Definitely not applying Steve Jobs' obsession with the quality of the unseen.

Damn I won't be able to unsee that....

Adhesive, and painting over sealants/adhesive is very common. I'm OCD and would be fine with it, especially given the alternative, which would be to sand down to metal and start over....on the whole door. No way I'd want aftermarket work on pearl white if it could be avoided.

Good point, as long as it doesn't start flaking off down the line, I'll have to try and ignore it. I might stick on additional door seals to try and decrease the overall road noise which should cover it for the most part.