Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Door Locks and Rear Storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just received my third Tesla, a 2024 MX, manufactured in March of 2024, three weeks ago. My 2020 MX was totaled about eight weeks ago, (rear end collision when I was stopped in traffic on the interstate! No injuries). I have the MX because my wife is partially handicapped and simply could not get in and out of the 2013 MS60 I had. I had thought that the new MX would be similar to the 2020 one, but find that is not the case. In three weeks now I am growing comfortable with the steering wheel controls, using the cameras for the blind spot, and having 25% of the screen obscured by the steering wheel. And using the rest of the avionics. But three areas of change are really problematic.

1. The door locks and opening! Good grief. I need to first open the passenger side door from a distance to help my wife into it. On my 2020 MX this was easily accomplished by the fob. It operated all the doors in a straightforward manner. I have now tried getting along with the card and the proximity iPhone on my 2024 MX, both of which work after a fashion, but neither of which conveniently opens the passenger door from a distance. So I purchased a new fob. And although it requires far more clicks than the 2020 fob, it still is unable to reliably open the doors or the tail gate. And it insists on a specific sequence of first unlocking the vehicle, then the driver side door, then the passenger side door. If I am lucky and having a good day.

I need this sequence to work in reverse to assist my wife into the passenger side. And the iPhone proximity process has the same drawback. Passenger side only before anything else will work. And if I use the iPhone proximity process, I cannot get the tail gate to open from outside the car without going back to the fob.

I have tried most of the settings for doors and locks, I have been to the local service center for help, and have found no combination which seems to work for these needs. Has anyone else figured out how to get the various Tesla unlocking devices (Card...iPhone Proximity...Fob) to get the passenger side door to first open, and from a distance?

And why are there still no grab bars in this almost $100k car? I know of no other vehicle which lacks this amenity (actually a necessity). It doesn't seem needed until you have to have it, for all you twenty somethings.

2. One of my favorite aspects of my 2020MX was the ability to leave the rear most shelf upright so I had a space for groceries etc to stay neat and secure without rolling all around in the back (yes, I have the 5 seat model). The 2024MX rear lid will not stay upright no matter I do, and it always rattles about getting all twisted. It has become a far less usable space. And I find myself using the frunk for groceries, although what a pain to close the frunk. Ever tried to close a frunk with hands filled with groceries headed into the house?

3. The Tesla app is great for some things, but I now find myself driving ten miles to the Tesla service center here in Atlanta if I really need help. I had squeaks and rattles when delivered and scheduled an appointment which was scheduled for two weeks out after going to the service center. Driving to the service center takes less time than going through the app's obstacle course to get help. The day before the long scheduled service, they sent me a text that they were behind and would have to keep the vehicle for at least a week. Good grief! I canceled and have rescheduled after finding no easy way to tell them that I could wait for the appointment, but could not sacrifice the vehicle for ten days while it sat on their lot.

I would be grateful for any help on these problems. I think a 1930 car key for entry to the door lock would be better than what they have now. Great car, but feels like customers were little involved in designing the ingress to the vehicle. And they continue to strive to avoid personal customer contact for service, the folks who could be their best sales representatives.

Thanks for any responses....

Bill

1. The door locks and opening! Good grief. I need to first open the passenger side door from a distance to help my wife into it. On my 2020 MX this was easily accomplished by the fob. It operated all the doors in a straightforward manner. I have now tried getting along with the card and the proximity iPhone on my 2024 MX, both of which work after a fashion, but neither of which conveniently opens the passenger door from a distance. So I purchased a new fob. And although it requires far more clicks than the 2020 fob, it still is unable to reliably open the doors or the tail gate. And it insists on a specific sequence of first unlocking the vehicle, then the driver side door, then the passenger side door. If I am lucky and having a good day.
It sounds like you may have the door lock mode set incorrectly, it is on the Locks screen in settings. If you turn it on, the walk-up, phone and fob will only unlock the driver door and charge port. If you turn it off, it will unlock all doors and the trunk.
I need this sequence to work in reverse to assist my wife into the passenger side. And the iPhone proximity process has the same drawback. Passenger side only before anything else will work. And if I use the iPhone proximity process, I cannot get the tail gate to open from outside the car without going back to the fob.

I have tried most of the settings for doors and locks, I have been to the local service center for help, and have found no combination which seems to work for these needs. Has anyone else figured out how to get the various Tesla unlocking devices (Card...iPhone Proximity...Fob) to get the passenger side door to first open, and from a distance?
I am not sure the service center is the best place to go for set up idiosyncrasies. Most people that work there do not actually own a Tesla, let alone a Model X. You are probably much better off asking those kinds of questions here. After all most people here actually do own a Model X and live with it daily.

With the lock set up as described above, the fob should work just like it did on your 2020. There is no way to auto open the passenger door without first opening the driver door. Double click: driver door opens; Second Double click: Passenger door opens (assuming the unlock mode is set correctly). But that is the way your 2020 behaved, right?
2. One of my favorite aspects of my 2020MX was the ability to leave the rear most shelf upright so I had a space for groceries etc to stay neat and secure without rolling all around in the back (yes, I have the 5 seat model). The 2024MX rear lid will not stay upright no matter I do, and it always rattles about getting all twisted. It has become a far less usable space.
The lid in the back can be used in the lower level, perfectly covering the lower well. It sounds like you need to set the lid in the lower position and leave it there. There is a small barrier on the lower trunk floor, which should prevent things from rolling too far forward. I'd actually like to purchase a second deck lid so I could cover the lower deck at the same time as the upper deck. I keep all my charging accessories in the lower well.

Reactions: towndrunk
It sounds like you may have the door lock mode set incorrectly, it is on the Locks screen in settings. If you turn it on, the walk-up, phone and fob will only unlock the driver door and charge port. If you turn it off, it will unlock all doors and the trunk.

I am not sure the service center is the best place to go for set up idiosyncrasies. Most people that work there do not actually own a Tesla, let alone a Model X. You are probably much better off asking those kinds of questions here. After all most people here actually do own a Model X and live with it daily.

With the lock set up as described above, the fob should work just like it did on your 2020. There is no way to auto open the passenger door without first opening the driver door. Double click: driver door opens; Second Double click: Passenger door opens (assuming the unlock mode is set correctly). But that is the way your 2020 behaved, right?

The lid in the back can be used in the lower level, perfectly covering the lower well. It sounds like you need to set the lid in the lower position and leave it there. There is a small barrier on the lower trunk floor, which should prevent things from rolling too far forward. I'd actually like to purchase a second deck lid so I could cover the lower deck at the same time as the upper deck. I keep all my charging accessories in the lower well.
Thank you for your kind reply. I will once again go to the settings on the locks and see if I can get a combination that works.

I believe you are suggesting that I turn the "walk up" off, and then the fob will open things in the same manner as my 2020 MX. That will be wonderful and I will move in that direction.

I am a little confused by your comments regarding the lid in the rear. I have two compartments, an anterior one which is fairly shallow and where I keep all of my charging accessories, air compressor for tires, and trailer hitch. The rear compartment, which I believe you are referring to as the "lower level" has the lid which in my 2020 MX could permanently stay upright and behave like a sedan trunk which was not open to the outside. The lid in the 2024 when placed in the slot won't stay upright, and just flops around. I can place it in a fully covering mode back horizontal, but that is a pain for groceries and small items at the store to just go home. What am I doing wrong?

And I take your point about the service centers. Tesla works hard at not interacting with customers, and generally succeeds. I bought my first MS60 in 2013, and have found the service has gone down hill though my three Teslas. I tried to get information at the delivery center here in Atlanta when I picked it up for questions you are addressing, but found them minimally trained, hurried, and not very knowledgable. And I like the app for many things, but they really abuse it in trying to provide total service for every problem through the app for a product this expensive. You are great to answer questions here on the this site, but for the money we pay, I would have expected a bit more service and help from Tesla. Heaven help you if you have a problem which doesn't fit one of the many cubby holes pre-determined on the app.

Thanks again for your help....

Bill

Thank you for your kind reply. I will once again go to the settings on the locks and see if I can get a combination that works.

I believe you are suggesting that I turn the "walk up" off, and then the fob will open things in the same manner as my 2020 MX. That will be wonderful and I will move in that direction.
The walk-up feature can be turned off or not, depending on your preference. It makes no difference to the driver door unlock mode (driver door only or all doors). If you set unlock mode for driver door only, you will not be able to open the passenger door remotely.
I am a little confused by your comments regarding the lid in the rear. I have two compartments, an anterior one which is fairly shallow and where I keep all of my charging accessories, air compressor for tires, and trailer hitch. The rear compartment, which I believe you are referring to as the "lower level" has the lid which in my 2020 MX could permanently stay upright and behave like a sedan trunk which was not open to the outside. The lid in the 2024 when placed in the slot won't stay upright, and just flops around. I can place it in a fully covering mode back horizontal, but that is a pain for groceries and small items at the store to just go home. What am I doing wrong?
The five passenger has two levels. Upper is roughly level with the rear hatch opening. It leaves a cavernous space below the deck, the aft area even lower, where all your charging accessories go. Both the fore and aft portions of the deck can go at either level. Personally I generally have the deck at the upper level, and stick stuff that I don't want to roll around in the lower aft hole. It is also great if you need to obscure something from outside eyes. But if you need to carry something that is taller, you can lower the deck, either just the aft portion, or both. My example suggested you might want the aft portion of the deck at the lower level