TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Island mode and CTs

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by wwhitney, Jun 12, 2018.

1. wwhitney

wwhitney Member

I'm a little unclear on some of the details of how the Powerwall inverter works in island mode (during a grid outage). If there is solar installed, does the system require the information from the solar CTs to work properly? Or would it still work the same in island mode if the solar CTs were omitted?

Cheers, Wayne

2. miimura

miimura Active Member

I would assume that in island mode, the Powerwall must regulate voltage and frequency no matter what is going on in the micro-grid. However, I could see how things could get hairy and the system could get confused if there is generation happening on other circuits.

I will probably find out if I make time to set up and test my emergency auxiliary generation. I originally planned to run the additional input power around to the gateway so that I could have the circuit run through the solar CTs, and into the generation panel. However, that's a lot of work when I could just plug it into any nearby wall outlet.