Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

issues with dashCam videos - black screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone having issues when they try to view your dashcam videos? Mines are all all black every single file.
anyone have any idea what I'm dong wrong very, very, new to this whole Tesla world.. but loving every minute of it.

Have you done this:

Using Dashcam

Dashcam requires a dedicated flash drive with FAT32 format (NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported). Before you can use theflash drive for dashcam, you must manually add a base-level folder in the flash drive called “TeslaCam” (without quotation marks). This folder is required for Model 3 to know where to store the video files; dashcam does not work without it.

Page 65 - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Why tesla 1) went with USB 2.0, and 2) went with FAT32 is beyond any kind of reason. FAT32 is not even supported by Microsoft anymore (try formatting natively under Win10... you can't w/o 3rd party app). You can do it w/ Mac with the right work-around steps. Makes preparing the device for use difficult (to say the least). At very minimum, tesla needs to support a format easily supported natively by both Mac and PC (exFAT for example).

Having said that, dash cam videos have proven very unreliable for me. I have experienced the black video. I have experienced corrupted video. I have experienced gaps in video recording.

Have I said recently that tesla s/w sucks..!!

Reactions: ebmcs03
Have you done this:

Using Dashcam

Dashcam requires a dedicated flash drive with FAT32 format (NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported). Before you can use theflash drive for dashcam, you must manually add a base-level folder in the flash drive called “TeslaCam” (without quotation marks). This folder is required for Model 3 to know where to store the video files; dashcam does not work without it.

Page 65 - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

yup thanks.. i just bought a endurance micro sd since someone said the rewriting and rewriting is wear and tear on my flash drive so having an endurance micro sd card in a usb card reader might work better. I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet but i'll keep everyone posted.

thanks