Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a "hidden" USB drive in the center console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
So, I had a loaner 2020 MX this week and it had this in the center arm rest storage space. It looks like a USB SSD. Does anyone have any information on how to install it? Is this common? I'm using a regular "super small" USB thumb drive but it might be good to move to something like this. The only downside is that it might make it difficult to transfer files on/off the SSD. I don't want to take my center console apart every time I want to save some dashcam videos.

IMG_3817 (1).png
IMG_3818 (1).png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That arrangement looks a lot like what was in the 2018 Model 3 RWD I was driving around late lasts year. In no particular order, for that 2018 M3:
  • The car came with a little plastic thingy that fits where the cell phones go. That plastic thingy had a pair of USB cables that clipped into place. One of the two cables came with an Apple Lightning port, right angle; the other came with a USB Type C connector, right angle, with the intent that one could slide one's phone down onto the appropriate port sticking out.
  • Both of these cables had USB Type A (the rectangular type) plugs on the ends that fit into the USB connectors in the console, below.
  • Turns out that both of those USB plugs were more than charging: They could both, together or singly, be connected to the car's computer for the purposes of Sentry, Dashcam, or music playing.
  • I should note that the 2018 M3 did not have a USB plug in the glove box. It did have, however, a couple of Type A plugs on the rear of the center console for charging purposes only.
  • There was a nice little market in add-ons. The one that I got replaced the plastic tray with which the car came with a double wireless charger. The wireless charger had a couple of USB cables with type "A" connectors coming out, one for each side. The kit also came with two "Y" cables. Each Y cable had a type A plug that fit into the console. The other ends of the Y cables had a thin (for data) and a thick (for charging) cable with Type A sockets on the end. One of those went onto the wire that went into the charger; into the other, one could insert a USB stick or USB-based drive.
Now that all new Teslas apparently come with:
  • Two QI chargers, wired into the car, where the cell phones go
  • Two Type C sockets in the front console for charging what-all
  • Another pair of USB Type C sockets on the rear of the console for charging purposes for back-seat passengers
  • And a single, "live" USB Type A socket in the glove box that comes pre-fitted with a Tesla-branded USB stick
all the fun of these additional kits, USB drives, and what-all are probably severely reduced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0