Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with my 2017 100D that always go away before a service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, this is my first post here but i am at my wits' end with Tesla. I have a 2017 Model S 100D with now about 70000 miles on it and we love it! But, recently the car makes a funny noise and then right after all kind of systems will fail. The noise comes from behind the passenger side dashboard cover between the two air vents, and it sounds like a fan working overtime turning itself on and off. Turning climate off makes no difference. Some research seems to suggest that the autopilot control unit sits there but i have not opened it up to look. When that fan noise starts, the GPS will fail, steering assist will fail, Autopilot is unavailable and some other random warnings. Very annoying the constant toot-toot-toot sound.
Anyway, i booked a service appt with Tesla and described the issue as best i can supported by a video of the noise etc. The day my appointment was scheduled, the noise went away and did not come back and so when the Tesla people looked at the car they said everything was normal.
Couple days later the noise came back together with all its error and warning friends and stayed for days on end. Booked another service appointment for yesterday and, yes, day before the service appointment the noise stops and the car is normal.
So here is my question, i understand Tesla will connect to my car to diagnose it before the service appointment, and somehow that fixes it, albeit only temporarily. I cancelled the appointment since there is nothing to show them, but i believe in a few days this will be back and the infinite loop will continue.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Sorry about the long description :)