Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s time for PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting ready to get some PPF put on. I have a metallic white M3 so yellowing will show sooner on this color then others. I have a few choices. Llumar platinum vs XPEL ultimate plus. Llumar is the newer film and my shop likes it a lot. Wondering what you guys think and what your experience is. I am only doing the bumpers as I enjoy washing and waxing too much...it gets me outside and away from the wife lol! Not to mention I find it relaxing to clay, polish and seal. I know I can do some of this with PPF but not all so the bumpers are a must. The 3 front end is a big smashing machine not to mention the rocks and other crap that front end eats up.

I have a metallic white M3 so yellowing will show sooner on this color then others.

I have Xpel Ultimate Plus and I'm happy with it. This is from Xpel's website:

"Our ULTIMATE PLUS PLUS and STEALTH films are warrantied for 10 years. This warranty covers: yellowing, staining, delaminating, cracking, peeling, bubbling, and more. More information on the warranty can be found on our Warranty Information page".

According to Xpel, you can still use detailing clay on Ultimate Plus. A few days after my install, I washed the car and used a clay mitt. I then followed with Xpel's Ceramic Boost and the result is a smooth finish with a glossy shine.

• Love
Reactions: XPEL
Since you plan to do only the bumpers, it makes me wonder if you think the hood and mirrors are going to stay free of rock hits? I did those as well.
As for new materials, the thing that comes to mind is how well will it hold up against sun fading. Most of that can be done with accelerated testing by the manufacturer, yet there's nothing like being about to reply on the experience of other users with real world experience. I tend to like to stick to known brands with a track record for things like this :D

I hope you dont clay and polish your car just "because". These are both abrasives and should be used only when you need to, otherwise your doing more harm then good.

I usually clay once a year, after the harsh winter in Chicago.paint looks like hell. I use a Nanoskin Autoscrub mitt. Having a Metallic White finish I have tons of orange spots known has rail dust. You can do a chemical decontamination which is essentially does the same with a product like Iron X but that stuff scares me and smell like something you never want to ever smell!!! Its god awful. As a 8 year member at Autogeeks I have had a hand in a lot of different processes. I typically wax more then anything. Collinite for the winter for it is the strongest regular or polymer wax out. Wolfgangs for the rest of the year. Tesla paint is extremely soft!

I have used xpel on a few cars before and have yet to experience yellowing. Only once did a mirror cap start to peel and had to be replaced. Under warranty so no problem. My front end has taken some rock chips on the hood as well and the rear quarter panels usually get a lot of grit thrown up as well near the wheels so food for thought.

Reactions: clownpuncher