Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joined the Model S CPO Club. How did I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
After years of waiting for the AWD model 3 I decided it was time to put a deposit down on a CPO Model S 85D for a variety of reasons. The Sales rep sent me photos of the car and the interior looks immaculate. Exterior is fine as I can tell from the photos but we shall see in person. The only compromise I made was on the Executive Rear Seats. I would have preferred the folding version.

Anyway, here are the specs. How did I make out in terms of price?

2015 85D Model S
Price: $60,600
Mileage: 29,886

Features
  • Solid Black Paint
  • Tan Next Generation Seats
  • 19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
  • All Glass Panoramic Roof
  • Piano Black Décor
  • Black Alcantara Headliner
  • Black Alcantara Dash
  • Autopilot with convenience features
  • Free Supercharging
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Liftgate
  • GPS Enabled Homelink
  • Tech Package
  • Executive Rear Seats
And the wait begins.

compositor-2.jpeg compositor-3.jpeg compositor-4.jpeg compositor-5.jpeg compositor-6.jpeg

CPO program has ended. So instead that’s Used with a 4 year warranty. Look over the photos carefully. Carefully.

2015. Ask if it has LTE or 3G. Upgrade if necessary.

I have that question into my SA. Sounds like it’s a modestly priced upgrade.

In the event the vehicle is not as advertised (based in the very small, limited, and grainy pics I was sent) I have no problem refusing delivery. I am not paying that much for any dinged up vehicle.

If 2015 mid onwards u probably have LTE otherwise it’s like $500...only thing since it’s solid black is check condition of paint in pics ..a good paint correction may set u back around $200-300

You should really really go over the photos they send you.
The ones posted above are stock photos.
Check the recall status.

The interior photos are look pristine. The exterior, I honestly cannot tell. The photos are so poor, they were taken outside while it was raining, I really can’t get a good idea of what is light or shadow or reflection or damage.

I will see if they can send along some better shots but I am guessing that won’t happen.

Does anyone know if CPO/used vehicles get new tires? That is another concern I have.

The interior photos are look pristine. The exterior, I honestly cannot tell. The photos are so poor, they were taken outside while it was raining, I really can’t get a good idea of what is light or shadow or reflection or damage.

I will see if they can send along some better shots but I am guessing that won’t happen.

Does anyone know if CPO/used vehicles get new tires? That is another concern I have.

You won’t get new tires unfortunately ...before they used to do back in early days of CPO...on the solid black paint a good paint correction should be able to fix any swirls etc for less than $300 ..than u can overlay with a ceramic coating to protect

You won’t get new tires unfortunately ...before they used to do back in early days of CPO...on the solid black paint a good paint correction should be able to fix any swirls etc for less than $300 ..than u can overlay with a ceramic coating to protect

Ugh. That’s majorly disappointing. It’s sounding like I’m going to need to shell out a few grand just to get any CPO up to snuff.

I’m coming from a BMW so this is all very, very strange to me.

I saw you are getting 19”s ? If so those are definitely cheaper than the 21s ...if they were 21s you would be shelling out like 1000+ for tires ...in general I don’t think you will get bald tires ..on these “CPOs” many are lease returns and must be returned with min 6/32 tread ....black paint is always difficult to maintain unless covered in ceramic or PPF when new ..however it’s real easy via paint correction to get out swirls ..the 85D is a solid car ..I had a P85D from that VIN range and car was solid mechanically for 62k miles in 3 1/2 years I drove ...I exceeded my warranty 2 years in and was never worried

I saw you are getting 19”s ? If so those are definitely cheaper than the 21s ...if they were 21s you would be shelling out like 1000+ for tires ...in general I don’t think you will get bald tires ..on these “CPOs” many are lease returns and must be returned with min 6/32 tread ....black paint is always difficult to maintain unless covered in ceramic or PPF when new ..however it’s real easy via paint correction to get out swirls ..the 85D is a solid car ..I had a P85D from that VIN range and car was solid mechanically for 62k miles in 3 1/2 years I drove ...I exceeded my warranty 2 years in and was never worried

I am not too worried about the paint to be honest. It’s going to be a city car so tlhings are going to happen. As long as there are no dents or dings. Swirls I can live with.

I will be sure to post back about the delivery process which I am already kind of irked by. Apparently I cannot drive the vehicle home from the service center and it has to be delivered to my house because of tax laws? Just seems like an unnecessary expense, additional wait time, and potential for damage to occur.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18