Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought an X. My first Tesla. It'll be the family beater and we'll ignore it. Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend wrapping just the front part (whole car is too expensive). i got the all weather mats on amazon for a cheaper price than weathertech and they seem fine.

i vacuum the car once/wk and wash the car once/month.

i have 3 kids (ages 12, 5, 4) and on my weekly vacuum it's absolutely filthy. food and crumbs in every nook and spilled liquids on the floors, etc. and yeah, i have the white seats and they are mostly holding up ok...

we got the 6-seater version. The big space between the mid captain seats seemed like it'd be helpful for storing kid bags and such. Also, it makes for a good place to put your feet when you're sitting in the way-back.

I have five kids, ages 13, 11, 10, 8, and 7. At least you got black interior, which is great for kids! I have a tan interior, and even though I do not allow them to eat, they drink only water, no crayons/markers/etc, I still have smudge marks on my seats. They sneak things in on me! It's been too cold to wash that often here, but I usually do once a week in nice weather. I second (third?) getting the floor mats. It really makes cleaning up much easier. I wish I would have put a wrap on the back of the seats because their shoes have scuffed the backs of mine. :( If we are on a long trip, I have them take off their shoes - it's more comfy for them and better for the car, especially for those still in a booster seat!

For as much as I drive here in SoCal, I regret not wrapping the front at least sooner. I drive weekly from San Diego to Long Beach and back. Still plan on getting it dome but alas, I have to pay taxes. Also, get a hand vacuum. =)

XPEL wrap seats? Will that protect them as well as a seat cover and look way better? Aren't there airbags in some of the seats? Where are the air bags in the model X manufactured February 2018? What does it cost to wrap just the front seats?

XPEL wrap seats? Will that protect them as well as a seat cover and look way better? Aren't there airbags in some of the seats? Where are the air bags in the model X manufactured February 2018? What does it cost to wrap just the front seats?
I think the discussion relates to the shiny back panel of the front seats which can get scuffed.
However, you do bring up a good point. Some people buy plastic slipcovers for their fine furniture to protect the upholstery. If he has particularly sloppy kids, he might consider these.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heavy-Duty-Plastic-Sofa-Cover/265232844

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcook4590
I am completely new to this xpel wrap and paint protection. So, sorry if this sounds silly but is a wrap just like putting a screen protector for your smart phone screen?

yes basically. xpel wrap protects against dings, chips etc... whereas coating is like a strong wax which prevents dirt, bird poop and other contaminates from sticking to the car so you don't need to wash the car that often etc...

Timely thread, I’m picking up my X 75 in a week. Although it won’t be my beater, it will be a well used family vehicle.

I’ve been debating getting the XPEL wrap too. If I do, it’ll just be the front protection for about 1K rather than all over for 4K.

I understand it will protect against stone chips and small scratches, but not against something major like getting keyed - is that correct?

If so, and I don’t get anything done, what will a few stone chip cost to repair? Doesn’t seem like it should be more than $1,000?

Timely thread, I’m picking up my X 75 in a week. Although it won’t be my beater, it will be a well used family vehicle.

I’ve been debating getting the XPEL wrap too. If I do, it’ll just be the front protection for about 1K rather than all over for 4K.

I understand it will protect against stone chips and small scratches, but not against something major like getting keyed - is that correct?

If so, and I don’t get anything done, what will a few stone chip cost to repair? Doesn’t seem like it should be more than $1,000?
Good point about chip repair cost. Wraps protect against chips but cost thousands and the wrap itself may need to be repaired with a chip.
How much does it cost to repaint the front of the car? There are lots of paint shops which will paint the whole car for anything from less than $1000 to $2000. I have a 20 year old Land Rover where the paint was badly eroded (clear coat erosion) and a few minor paint chips on the front. I had the whole car repainted with the "Deluxe" paint job (8 year warranty) for $1300 and it looks brand new.
Would you rather spend $4,000 now or $1300 in 10 years?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Good point about chip repair cost. Wraps protect against chips but cost thousands and the wrap itself may need to be repaired with a chip.
How much does it cost to repaint the front of the car? There are lots of paint shops which will paint the whole car for anything from less than $1000 to $2000. I have a 20 year old Land Rover where the paint was badly eroded (clear coat erosion) and a few minor paint chips on the front. I had the whole car repainted with the "Deluxe" paint job (8 year warranty) for $1300 and it looks brand new.
Would you rather spend $4,000 now or $1300 in 10 years?
Thanks. I was wondering about the same thing. This really helps me decide.
Now another question - since the windshield on The MX is too expensive, I think it makes sense to apply a film over it to prevent it from cracking when hit by small stones at highway speeds. Any idea on the cost and brand for such a thing?

3 Kids age 3-7, Convinced wife to get S a little over year ago, now 30,000 miles later it is our primAry family car and our truck has 3000 miles. We use the hell out of the car, but I find it the easiest and most enjoyable car to clean, which I end up doing at least one way a week, good vaccum and wipe with water and lint free cloth... the car holds up pretty well with heavy use as long as you take care of it because you will, it’s an easy thing to fall in love, with this car...! I wrapped the front end, low half of the car and the bumper because we have the rear facing seats and are in an out that way a lot... wash it when it needs it and interior like daily.... it’s an awesome cabin. The minimalism keeps her clutter easy handle although I am jealous of the cup holders in the door of the 3(that’s about it...-and I bet the dual motor 3 will be a ball to take for a “drive”). Otherwise the S will be my family’s “beater” for a long time, until I get a 6 seat X when they get older....

Thanks. I was wondering about the same thing. This really helps me decide.
Now another question - since the windshield on The MX is too expensive, I think it makes sense to apply a film over it to prevent it from cracking when hit by small stones at highway speeds. Any idea on the cost and brand for such a thing?
No idea of the cost of windshield wrap or even if it could be done. Where I live windshields need to be replaced every few years because of pitting. Covered by insurance so only cost is the deductible.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
This thread has really brought out some interesting perspectives. I find it really odd (and I'm certainly not calling out any one person in particular) that some folks here think that the Xpel wrap (say it's roughly $4K) is a waste of money. Even on a base model 75D, you're looking to spend roughly $85K and that's making assumptions that you're using 100% cash and you're not purchasing any hardware/software upgrades. A fully upgraded P100D will be in the $160K's easily.

Either way...if you are planning on keeping this car for 10 - 15 years a $4K investment to keep the car looking nice and require less upkeep for the owner seems like an easy choice, especially if it is going to be a daily driver and not kept in a garage somewhere.

Reactions: Fiddler
This thread has really brought out some interesting perspectives. I find it really odd (and I'm certainly not calling out any one person in particular) that some folks here think that the Xpel wrap (say it's roughly $4K) is a waste of money. Even on a base model 75D, you're looking to spend roughly $85K and that's making assumptions that you're using 100% cash and you're not purchasing any hardware/software upgrades. A fully upgraded P100D will be in the $160K's easily.

Either way...if you are planning on keeping this car for 10 - 15 years a $4K investment to keep the car looking nice and require less upkeep for the owner seems like an easy choice, especially if it is going to be a daily driver and not kept in a garage somewhere.
The problem is that most wraps only last for three to five years (and it costs $1000 to remove the wrap) so you need to repeat it if you are keeping the car long term. Most leases prohibit wraps.
If you're concerned about appearance (which doesn't seem to be a concern of the OP), painting is cheaper in the long run.

The problem is that most wraps only last for three to five years (and it costs $1000 to remove the wrap) so you need to repeat it if you are keeping the car long term. Most leases prohibit wraps.
If you're concerned about appearance (which doesn't seem to be a concern of the OP), painting is cheaper in the long run.
That’s totally a fair point. I guess I have never looked into the cost of resurfacing & repainting before so I would have no clue how much that would cost or how often it would need to be done.