Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got BMS_u029 Issue on a 4 year old battery, after being gone for 10 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S P85 with a four year old warranty replacement battery. I've put 75k miles on that battery in my ownership and have had no issues at all. Had battery checked about four months ago and was showing less than 0.0004v difference between best and weakest cells.

I use this car every day and do a mix of supercharging when out and about, and plug in for level 1 charging whenever I'm at home.

I just went on a 10 day trip out of town to visit family and came back to find "maximum charging level reduced" on the dash screen indicator, and found BMS_u029 code under the error code list. Car is sitting at 53% charge right now, and when I try to charge it the car just tells me that the charge level is above the maximum charge level and it will not charge.

Prior to my departure, everything was working just fine. Since coming home I installed one pending update and steering wheel reset (foot on brake + both jog wheels on steering wheel for approx 10 seconds) and there was no change.

Seems a bit more than coincidental that this happened after prolonged period of non-use??? Any ideas?

Trip to SC is imminent. I've searched web and forums and have found lots of discussion about this error code, but none with the same type of lead-up to the error as I've experienced. Hoping to gain some insight from others in the hopes that it makes a bit smarter before handing the car off for what will likely be an expensive fix. :(

Thanks in advance for any info.