Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery problems after Tesla high voltage test..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrGee

Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2022
Coral Springs
I took my 2014 P85+ to Tesla in West Palm Beach to reinstate supercharging. (it has a rebuilt title so supercharging had been disabled by Tesla). I’m not throwing shade, because they are chronically understaffed, but it took nearly a week just to do the high voltage tests & certify it for supercharging. The car passed the high-voltage inspection. But it took a further 3 weeks and numerous calls & messages to get the supercharging started.
First of all, they told me that supercharging had been enabled centrally from Tesla in California.
Then they told me the Gen 2 master charger is good for level 2 charging, but that it will need a new charger ($2000) for supercharging to start.
A week later they said the main battery pack developed an “isolation fault,” after it had passed their safety inspection. “Just a coincidence,” they said- “unfortunately, these things happen” in older cars. They told me It wouldn’t supercharge unless they fit a Tesla-certified used battery for $14,000.
I took my car home & did none of all that. There were no errors on the dash initially.
Then a few days later I got the "no regen" message. Then later "car may not start" & "speed & acceleration have been limited".
All messages cleared suddenly after 3 days & the 19th of October, I took it to a supercharging station and it supercharged just fine.
Last week, all the error messages came back... Now what should I do?
I want to sell it, but is it a lemon now??
It still drives fine and charges at home.

You said supercharging worked fine. Do you think that is what caused the errors, and that supercharging stressed the 10 year old battery, and you won't supercharge again? If so, your car still does what it always has done for you. It is rebuilt, and has a 10+ year old battery that service says won't do well supercharging and should be replaced. I think the "new" battery you buy has a 5 year warranty. Drive it until you need a new battery. If the car is worth more than $14000 with a "new, used" battery, replace it and sell it, or keep it and continue using it.

You said supercharging worked fine. Do you think that is what caused the errors, and that supercharging stressed the 10 year old battery, and you won't supercharge again? If so, your car still does what it always has done for you. It is rebuilt, and has a 10+ year old battery that service says won't do well supercharging and should be replaced. I think the "new" battery you buy has a 5 year warranty. Drive it until you need a new battery. If the car is worth more than $14000 with a "new, used" battery, replace it and sell it, or keep it and continue using it.
Thanks Dave,
The error messages came up a few days after I got the car back from Tesla. Then, the codes spontaneously cleared and I got my regen braking back. That's when I decided to try supercharging it and it worked. The error messages came back a week later & I've lost regen again. The thing is, everything was fine before I took it to Tesla to do the high voltage test. They also replaced a rapid-mate hose/ connector. It's hard for me not to be suspicious that something they did inadvertently caused the "isolation fault" within the battery pack.

Reactions: aerodyne
The testing of the battery probably stressed it to max parameters to make sure it was safe. Maybe it just simulated what could have happened if you were to use a supercharger. Evidently, don't do that even though it is safe...it may be causing your problems.

Post the codes please, they're in history in Service mode
You have LDU which is prone to leak coolant internally n causing isolation faults
85kwh packs are also known to fail due to 029/018 errors n moisture/water ingress, plenty of threads here n on FB group
Very possible it has nothing to do with HV test...
Since u already got rebuilt car, best way for u would be to get used pack n sell ur modules for best price (if pack is truly bad)

14k reman or ~20k new 90kwh pack from Tesla both get 4yr/50k warranty