Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got my Model 3 yesterday. Love it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that I would post a brief summary of what I think about my new Model 3. I tried to focus more on the Model 3 specifics, rather than things that any electric car would have, but I may have slipped a little...

Blue, 18" wheels, EAP (LR and Premium, of course)

I love it! It's the best car I've owned. (The BMW M5 was very close, though)

Pros:
1) The car is fast! I can effortlessly pass that line of left lane loiterers.
2) Panel gaps were small and consistent. No complaints whatsoever.
3) The audio sound quality is great!
4) Regenerative braking is awesome! Got used to low in a few hours (it's slightly more aggressive than the engine braking in a manual transmission car) and moved to standard.
5) Not having to visit the gas station is great!
6) Seat are comfortable and hold well.
7) Steering has a lot of adjustment for effort, reach, and position.
8) It's beautiful! I love that I can have a car that is efficient and not polluting, without having to have a weirdmobile or a car that looks like I'm a college student whose dad bought him his first new car.
9) I love the clean interior. So many car are cluttered with extraneous controls that you never use.
10) The center screen is bright, clear, and is a great interface that can change with context and software upgrades.
11) It's so quiet! No engine and the wind/tire noise is on the low side.
12) It's spacious. An adult can sit behind another adult with good room all around.
13) The little touches, like folding mirrors instead of a honking horn, mirrors that tilt down in reverse, etc are appreciated.
14) The display of cars seen and distance to obstacles is very encouraging and helpful.

Cons:
1) The price of admission is pretty high.
2) The suspension is a little softer than I would like. I have to think that the original setups would've been perfect.
3) The tires are all seasons (Michelin Primacy) and hold the car back a little. The car is begging for a tire upgrade.

Mixed bag:

1) Autopilot and its related items are like an attentive drivers ed student. It got nervous and limited autosteer to 65mph in one section of HOV lane that is protected and just a tiny bit curvy (would've been no problem for me to drive through there manually at much greater speed). It beeped at me for driving parallel to and within one foot of a concrete barrier. (That's the middle of the lane here in Houston on 290). Ping ponged some in the lane (not bad, just reminiscent of a driving student who doesn't have his tracking down yet).
It really seems like it would limit fatigue on longer highway trips. Using it as intended and paying attention while driving seems like it would be safer than not.

I enjoy driving our new Model 3 more than I enjoy driving our Model S. The Model 3 is more agile, tighter feeling, and just plain more fun. As fun as this Model 3 is, I think the AWD performance Model 3 is going to even further rock the world.

15 feet...sometimes less just tried it
Interesting. So if you park head-in to a parking spot, and there is an SUV/van in the spot beside you so you cannot see the mirrors - how do you know it's locked? Do the taillights also flicker or something? I'd really like to have an audible sound. Most of my parking is at work or at home. At work, due to the way the parking spots are aligned and the direction I walk towards the stairs, I'll never be able to see the mirrors. So I need some other way of knowing.

Interesting. So if you park head-in to a parking spot, and there is an SUV/van in the spot beside you so you cannot see the mirrors - how do you know it's locked? Do the taillights also flicker or something? I'd really like to have an audible sound. Most of my parking is at work or at home. At work, due to the way the parking spots are aligned and the direction I walk towards the stairs, I'll never be able to see the mirrors. So I need some other way of knowing.

The app also indicates lock state.

I parked it in my garage. I am not at home currently. My wife’s model x was next to it :)

As far as parking lots. I am not sure how I have the car setup.
But I have the lights turn off immediately after exiting the car. I know I have the chime turned off. I generally turn everything off noise wise regarding the locking portion of my car.
You can also check your tesla app to see if the car is locked when you get inside. But when you walk away it is pretty immediate when the car locks

Also check the owners manual, I could be wrong on some things.
I just set it and forget it and I did all this on first day of ownership

Last edited:
Reactions: Polly Wog
It happens after about 15 seconds, regardless of distance, if you have auto lock enabled.

Interesting. So if you are standing right next to your car, it will still auto-lock? I assume that since you're in range, it will unlock as soon as you try to open the door.

The app also indicates lock state.

Yeah, but don't want to look at my phone to find out if it's locked. I just want to know. Sometimes in the morning, I start walking towards the stairs in the parking garage and can't remember if I locked my car or not. So I use the FOB to lock it, and I can hear a chime and see the taillights so I know it got the signal. Ideally, if I heard a chime as I walked away from the car, I'd just know. (I would much prefer a chime as opposed to a honk.)

But I have the lights turn off immediately after exiting the car. I know I have the chime turned off. I generally turn everything off noise wise regarding the locking portion of my car.
You can also check your tesla app to see if the car is locked when you get inside. But when you walk away it is pretty immediate when the car locks

What "chime" are you talking about that you have turned off? Are you saying there is a chime when the car auto-locks?

Either way, I don't have a 3 yet, so I'll just have to play around with it once I get it and figure out what will work best for my situation.

Yeah, but don't want to look at my phone to find out if it's locked. I just want to know. Sometimes in the morning, I start walking towards the stairs in the parking garage and can't remember if I locked my car or not. So I use the FOB to lock it, and I can hear a chime and see the taillights so I know it got the signal. Ideally, if I heard a chime as I walked away from the car, I'd just know. (I would much prefer a chime as opposed to a honk.)
I don't have mine yet either, but I thought the owner's manual said the lights will flash as well.

Reactions: LoL Rick and PeterK
Interesting. So if you are standing right next to your car, it will still auto-lock? I assume that since you're in range, it will unlock as soon as you try to open the door.

What "chime" are you talking about that you have turned off? Are you saying there is a chime when the car auto-locks?

Either way, I don't have a 3 yet, so I'll just have to play around with it once I get it and figure out what will work best for my situation.

I did say I was not sure how I had it setup. There is no chime...was not sure when I posted my post. Sorry, but I did have an out my saying check the owners manual. I check it. it’s on page 10 the setup of unlocking and locking. I believe I answered some of other questions?

Yes, it did this earlier when I was right in front of the bumper.

I thought that I would post a brief summary of what I think about my new Model 3. I tried to focus more on the Model 3 specifics, rather than things that any electric car would have, but I may have slipped a little...

Blue, 18" wheels, EAP (LR and Premium, of course)

I love it! It's the best car I've owned. (The BMW M5 was very close, though)

Pros:
1) The car is fast! I can effortlessly pass that line of left lane loiterers.
2) Panel gaps were small and consistent. No complaints whatsoever.
3) The audio sound quality is great!
4) Regenerative braking is awesome! Got used to low in a few hours (it's slightly more aggressive than the engine braking in a manual transmission car) and moved to standard.
5) Not having to visit the gas station is great!
6) Seat are comfortable and hold well.
7) Steering has a lot of adjustment for effort, reach, and position.
8) It's beautiful! I love that I can have a car that is efficient and not polluting, without having to have a weirdmobile or a car that looks like I'm a college student whose dad bought him his first new car.
9) I love the clean interior. So many car are cluttered with extraneous controls that you never use.
10) The center screen is bright, clear, and is a great interface that can change with context and software upgrades.
11) It's so quiet! No engine and the wind/tire noise is on the low side.
12) It's spacious. An adult can sit behind another adult with good room all around.
13) The little touches, like folding mirrors instead of a honking horn, mirrors that tilt down in reverse, etc are appreciated.
14) The display of cars seen and distance to obstacles is very encouraging and helpful.

Cons:
1) The price of admission is pretty high.
2) The suspension is a little softer than I would like. I have to think that the original setups would've been perfect.
3) The tires are all seasons (Michelin Primacy) and hold the car back a little. The car is begging for a tire upgrade.

Mixed bag:

1) Autopilot and its related items are like an attentive drivers ed student. It got nervous and limited autosteer to 65mph in one section of HOV lane that is protected and just a tiny bit curvy (would've been no problem for me to drive through there manually at much greater speed). It beeped at me for driving parallel to and within one foot of a concrete barrier. (That's the middle of the lane here in Houston on 290). Ping ponged some in the lane (not bad, just reminiscent of a driving student who doesn't have his tracking down yet).
It really seems like it would limit fatigue on longer highway trips. Using it as intended and paying attention while driving seems like it would be safer than not.
Congratulations! I hope to experience the same in 4-8 weeks after ordering 2 nights ago. Thanks for a nice summary.