Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep it plugged in while I'm away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad I found this recent post. I have a similar question, but need to pick a favorite. ;)

I have two MY and will be out of town for 15 days straight. I had planned to leave one plugged in at 50% charge limit, and then charge the other to 65-70% and let it sleep (no sentry) and just let the battery drain for 2 weeks.

Is this approach flawed? Are there any other alternatives I should consider?

Bottom line, if the Tesla Model Y vehicle is allowed to shut down, enter sleep mode then power consumption is minimal, i.e. 25W. There are many examples of Tesla Model Y vehicles being parked unplugged for extended periods with Sentry mode turned off where the battery drain was 1% to 2% per week.

Based on this, maybe just charge my second favorite to 55-60%?

I recently left mine for 20 days straight. Don’t recall the charge when I left but I lost 5-6% in that time. Wasn’t plugged in and checked in on it once a week. (There’s a thread on exact figures somewhere)

As I was in the overseas airport, a mate plugged in in and I was full when I got back (90%) ready to drive home.

I guess the answers depends if you need one of them straight away on your return. If you do, leave with a higher charge?

Reactions: SWIPE
This is not true, it will also initiate a charge once the car is ~3% or more from whatever your set charging point is.

Actually, it will initiate a charge when the SOC drops less than 1% if it is awake. When I first signed up for Teslafi, I would have charges of 0.2 to 0.3 kWh every half hour or so. The charge sessions would last for about a minute at 24-48 amps @240 volts (wall connector). This was with Sentry mode on.

When I turned Sentry mode off, the car started sleeping all night without the "micro" charging sessions. I'm sure it would start charging at some point, but probably only if it were awake?

With two cars and one charger that is an interesting question. Is therea 110V outlet available? That should be more than enough to keep the second car charged when idle.
It is, I have two as well one uses 240 the other uses 110. My MY has been plugged in the 110 since last thur and has stayed at 89 the whole time while I use the 3 for the weekend around town.

Did it see it mentioned here but has been in similar threads. If you keep checking the Tesla app while gone you’ll keep waking up the car. If not plugged in this is going to cause extra drain - along with sentry, cabin overhead, etc.

Some people also also paranoid the car will be more likely to catch fire if left plugged in for days or weeks. Not the case.

Reactions: Blubrown21
Did it see it mentioned here but has been in similar threads. If you keep checking the Tesla app while gone you’ll keep waking up the car. If not plugged in this is going to cause extra drain - along with sentry, cabin overhead, etc.

Some people also also paranoid the car will be more likely to catch fire if left plugged in for days or weeks. Not the case.
Very tru if you keep checking from the app it will wake it up. No need to keeping on it.

There is a small but tangible risk of damage to an EV (any electrical equipment) if there is a voltage spike while plugged in. No surge protector is 100% effective. Worst case would be a close by ground lighting strike. If I am at home and there is lightning detected within 5 miles of my home I will unplug my Tesla Model Y until at least 30 minutes after the storms have moved on. If I am away I leave my Model Y unplugged.