Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

keep unlocked and 2nd location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When are is Tesla going to figure out how to leave the vehicle unlocked at a 2nd or 3rd location.
Its really convenient to always be unlocked at home but inconvenient to be locked at our vacation home or when at a safe work parking location.

I believe disabling of Walk-Away Door Lock is only possible for the location you designate as Home. I agree that being able to add additional locations for disabling Walk-Away Door Lock would be very useful.
CleanShot 2023-07-09 at 10.46.51@2x.png

I think the OP understands that but is saying it would be nice to be able to designate multiple home locations.
Yes, but the OP also mentions a "safe work parking location". It would be convenient to add locations that aren't home locations but are still safe locations. It really doesn't matter if they are called Home or not, just that multiple locations could be designated for disabling Walk-Away Door Lock.

Last edited:
If it's very safe, a simple solution is to leave your phone inside your car, if you don't need it or have a second phone.
So the car will not lock, but still will go to sleep mode.

Now, there is the oppposite situation, where you forget to take your phone with you after parking you car.
So then any one could seat inside your car and drive it !!!

Yes, but the OP also mentions a "safe work parking location". It would be convenient to add locations that aren't home locations but are still safe locations. It really doesn't matter if they are called Home or not, just that multiple locations could be designated for disabling Walk-Away Door Lock.
I mentioned "Home" location specifically because that's the existing terminology as it relates to this conversation. There already exists within the software both a Home and a Work location setting (mostly for navigation purposes for the Work option). The clear separation of these two locations continues within the software as you can disable alarms, door locks and sentry mode at the Home location specifically.

I think this is perfect for the majority of users who don't want their work location to be disabled of all of these security features. This is why I used that term "Home" specifically even though they OP did mention safe work locations at the end. To avoid confusion elsewhere in the software's menu settings, I think it makes far more sense to just the option to create multiple "Home" locations. This way, if you are among the rare users who have a safe work location, you would just add that location to your list of "home" locations even though it's technically not your actual home.

The desire here is to have multiple locations that allow the end-user to disable security settings. The easiest and most commonly considered method for this would be to allow multiple "Home" location options. They could also allow for multiple "work" locations but the only place this is a factor is in the navigation so it seems kind of pointless by comparison to other menu items that specifically use the "home" location to trigger or not trigger other events. The "Work" location only seems to come into play for navigation use.

Either way, I think we've increased the complexity of a simple solution: we need multiple "Home" locations as an option for those who understand the feature and want to leverage said features for multiple locations. I'd like to see it go one step further and allow for smart selection of Homelink/MyQ/Sentury gates as well. There's other things that could come into play as well but the starting point would be multiple "Home" locations.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Add me to the list for not locking the car at a second home.
At the second home, I have to kill the Tesla app on my iPhone before opening the door and exiting the car. This prevent the auto-lock feature.

I just got a new 2023 Model Y and was chasing a problem with the doors locking at "home" when "except at home". In that case, I learned that each driver has a profile and their own definition of "home".

As I diagnosed that problem, I thought I saw the option to disable walk-away door locks for " home" and/or "favorite locations". If I was not hallucinating, disabling walk-away door locks for "favorite locations" might be the option you are looking for.

The fact that each driver can define their own "home" location might offer another option. Let's say you were a snow-bird and you had a home in Minnesota and home in Florida. You could create a "myname-MN" profile that you used in Minnesota, and a "myname-FL" profile that you used in Florida. Each would have its own home address.