Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Card and NFC from phone not working, car not connecting to network. Locked out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Long Range, AWD Model 3. My wife's key card and phone as NFC key is not allowing her to open the car. The mirrors are out indicating it is unlocked, but she can't open the doors. From the app, it is showing the car as seen over 11 hours ago with the refresh indicator just spinning. It's sitting in our garage where it is normally connected to wifi. Even if it was having trouble connecting to wifi, it should be connected over LTE at that location. So we we can't remotely unlock the car either. But given that the mirrors are out, indicating the car is unlocked, this just seem like a SW bug that is preventing her from opening the doors. Any suggestions? We can't reboot the car unless we can get into to it as far as I know. As soon as I get home, I'll try my key and phone, but given it doesn't look like the car is locked, I'm not hopeful that will work.

2018 Long Range, AWD Model 3. My wife's key card and phone as NFC key is not allowing her to open the car. The mirrors are out indicating it is unlocked, but she can't open the doors. From the app, it is showing the car as seen over 11 hours ago with the refresh indicator just spinning. It's sitting in our garage where it is normally connected to wifi. Even if it was having trouble connecting to wifi, it should be connected over LTE at that location. So we we can't remotely unlock the car either. But given that the mirrors are out, indicating the car is unlocked, this just seem like a SW bug that is preventing her from opening the doors. Any suggestions? We can't reboot the car unless we can get into to it as far as I know. As soon as I get home, I'll try my key and phone, but given it doesn't look like the car is locked, I'm not hopeful that will work.
Your wife doesn't have bluetooth based phone key? If she does, try turning on/off airplane mode and also toggling bluetooth, and closing/opening the app. Might also start working again if car is left to sleep.

If car is spinning, another trick that works for me is to turn off wifi on the phone and use LTE. That tends to get the car to refresh much quicker.

Note it's possible to lock the doors without the mirrors folding, typically when in the car using the screen, but also may be set in the settings (autofolding disabled).

And just in case there may be confusion, the NFC reader is on the driver side only and in the location as per animation in manual.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Last edited:
**UPDATE** It was indeed the 12v battery. Excellent remote diagnostics by the community! By the time I got home, some of the windows dropped in various positions. I was able to open a door. It took a few tries, but I was able to do the two thumbwheel reset. After rebooting, various 12v battery warnings popped up. We did not get any 12v warnings before this craziness. This is the 2nd 12V battery for this car, which has lasted almost 3 years. The first time we had to replace, the car gave us a warning ahead of time. So now I will put a calendar reminder in my phone to either proactively replace the 12v in two years, or at least start to test it as I near the two year mark. Thanks all for your help!