Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob locked inside car work around....sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would share my workaround for the model 3 locking the car with the key fob inside the car. I was heading to the gym and I threw my gym bag with the key fob in it into the back trunk along with my wallet with the key card. My neighbor asks me if I could take a look at a problem he was having installing his new microwave. So I close the trunk and head into his house for a few minutes and come back out. My trunk is locked. My whole car is locked. Now what? After a couple of hours looking for my spare keycard, I came up empty. Checking the internet doesn't come with much except, the car may have a few dead spots. Hmmm...if I can move my gym bag, it will change the position or location of the key fob just enough to detect? I shake the car some retry the lock and no good. I try it again and this time I put everything into it to shake the car back and forth (not an easy thing to do since the car is heavy and has relatively still suspension). Then I retry the handle and it opens! Of course now I can get my gym bag out, but it's kind of late now to go to the gym, but at least I can drive my car again. This may not work for every situation, but it is something worth trying at least if you're stuck.

Reactions: mrau
Welcome to the forums ! Was your phone locked in the car also ? Another thing you can try is have your neighbor download the app on his phone, log into your account, open the door and then delete the app off your neighbor's phone. This was suggested a while back by someone else on this forum...

Reactions: Akikiki