Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a downside to turning off phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR - Does turning off the phone key function in the app cause any other loss of functionality? For instance, setting climate from app, using sentry mode, viewing live cam from app, etc.

I've managed to accidentally leave my iPhone in the car twice now during the month I've owned it. I do have PIN to drive and PIN glovebox enabled, but I'm still freaked out that literally anybody could've walked up and opened the doors (people frequently wander our apartment parking lot looking for unlocked cars to steal from...which I now know thanks to a few Sentry events). I'm usually careful to listen for the door lock and watch for the mirrors to fold as I walk away, but I got out during a heavy rainstorm yesterday and ran for the building and forgot all about it. I don't mind the idea of having to tap the keycard on the pillar to enter. I just don't want to lose any other functionality.

Considering the car could easily tell when there is a passenger inside (either via cabin cam or weight of driver on seat), I'm surprised there isn't an option to auto-lock with the phone key still inside the car when it doesn't sense a driver for something like 30-60 seconds. My wallet with keycard never leaves my pocket while driving whereas my phone is sitting on the charge dock probably 98% of the time and is much easier to accidentally leave in the car.

Not really. You could just use the keycard, and / or purchase a keyfob. I suspect if you used a keyfob and turned off the phone as key setting on your phone, you might feel more comfortable. Its likely that you are / were used to carrying a keyfob around for your previous cars, and kept it in a pocket / bag / backpack / purse etc.

For your needs, probably a good idea to consider purchasing a keyfob, and turning off phone as key.

Not really. You could just use the keycard, and / or purchase a keyfob. I suspect if you used a keyfob and turned off the phone as key setting on your phone, you might feel more comfortable. Its likely that you are / were used to carrying a keyfob around for your previous cars, and kept it in a pocket / bag / backpack / purse etc.

For your needs, probably a good idea to consider purchasing a keyfob, and turning off phone as key.
Thanks. The fob has been out of stock for over a month, but I'm going to get one once available. My last car was a 2009 Honda CRV, so I'm still very much used to the idea of having a physical key in the ignition. Think I'll try the keycard in the meantime.

My used car came with a fob and 2 keycards. I stopped using the phone-as-key because I *thought* being near the car with my phone would keep it awake. And our bedroom is above the garage. This is NOT how it works as I understand it.

But I have just kept using the fob and am used to carrying it around like most cars. The keycards alone is a bummer, you have to lock the car with the card when you walk away, something I have not done since 2003 maybe? Having the card in my wallet is a nice backup, but yeah get a fob!

Reactions: BradfordCat
I use my phone as a key. I have the app on my tablet and the key is not enabled on it. I've noticed nothing the tablet app can't do besides unlocking the car. IOW, no downside.

Is it because you charge the phone in the car that you leave it behind?

Perhaps you can change your behavior to prevent leaving your phone in the car. Always keep it in you pocket? Be Rainman and tap your pocket every time you leave the car?

My wallet with keycard never leaves my pocket while driving whereas my phone is sitting on the charge dock probably 98% of the time and is much easier to accidentally leave in the car.
Is it because you charge the phone in the car that you leave it behind?

Perhaps you can change your behavior to prevent leaving your phone in the car. Always keep it in you pocket? Be Rainman and tap your pocket every time you leave the car?
I find when I charge the phone on the dock, I can easily forget it when I'm in a hurry. I now pretty much never charge it on the dock and just keep it in my pocket.

I also use it occasionally on a phone holder mounted near the top of the screen when I want to look at google maps for traffic and it's much harder to forget vs tucked away on the dock in the bottom of the screen. I use a charging cable for mine, but there are phone holders that also support wireless charging. Perhaps consider that also if you want to still charge your phone in the car and not forget it?

When I park it for a longer time, I also make it a habit to take a screenshot of the range remaining in the app, which would remind me if I forgot the phone in the car (given I won't have the phone on me). Maybe something similar can be a reminder.

Reactions: BradfordCat
TL;DR - Does turning off the phone key function in the app cause any other loss of functionality? For instance, setting climate from app, using sentry mode, viewing live cam from app, etc.

I've managed to accidentally leave my iPhone in the car twice now during the month I've owned it. I do have PIN to drive and PIN glovebox enabled, but I'm still freaked out that literally anybody could've walked up and opened the doors (people frequently wander our apartment parking lot looking for unlocked cars to steal from...which I now know thanks to a few Sentry events). I'm usually careful to listen for the door lock and watch for the mirrors to fold as I walk away, but I got out during a heavy rainstorm yesterday and ran for the building and forgot all about it. I don't mind the idea of having to tap the keycard on the pillar to enter. I just don't want to lose any other functionality.

Considering the car could easily tell when there is a passenger inside (either via cabin cam or weight of driver on seat), I'm surprised there isn't an option to auto-lock with the phone key still inside the car when it doesn't sense a driver for something like 30-60 seconds. My wallet with keycard never leaves my pocket while driving whereas my phone is sitting on the charge dock probably 98% of the time and is much easier to accidentally leave in the car.
If u want to leave your phone in the car turn off Bluetooth this will prevent anyone from unlocking your car u will have to use keycard or another device which youve set up as a key ie,watch/phone/ipad to unlock/lock the car