Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

knocking/rattling noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this rattle coming from the right side rear seatbelt area as well in a 2014 Model S. Definitely different from OP's sound. Tesla has tried to fix it 4+ times already but no dice. And unfortunately it's very hard to reproduce for the techs. It will happen out of the blue and I'll stop by the Service Center for a road test, but then as soon as I begin the road test the sound has already disappeared. It's definitely one of those mysteries... I've heard a lot of rattles in my car, but this one is pretty distinct. The sound in the video is unedited, it's actually really that loud.

I showed Tesla Service this video, but unfortunately they can't authorize repair the vehicle if the techs can't hear it for themselves (which makes sense).

My car is actually in for service for a different issue (my headliner unsecured by itself), and maybe those two issues were related...

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
I've had this rattle coming from the right side rear seatbelt area as well in a 2014 Model S. Definitely different from OP's sound. Tesla has tried to fix it 4+ times already but no dice. And unfortunately it's very hard to reproduce for the techs. It will happen out of the blue and I'll stop by the Service Center for a road test, but then as soon as I begin the road test the sound has already disappeared. It's definitely one of those mysteries... I've heard a lot of rattles in my car, but this one is pretty distinct. The sound in the video is unedited, it's actually really that loud.

I showed Tesla Service this video, but unfortunately they can't authorize repair the vehicle if the techs can't hear it for themselves (which makes sense).

My car is actually in for service for a different issue (my headliner unsecured by itself), and maybe those two issues were related...

Interesting noise. My buddy's Tesla has the same noise. He is bringing it to the service center next week. He said it is from the same area as well so I'll let you know if I hear any feedback.

• Helpful
Reactions: DDotJ

My 2017 MS60 has the same rattle! It's so annoying!

Seriously. The key was being able to reproduce it. The Tesla technician said that was the best way for them to fix it.
Appreciate the posting of problem and repair. We have heard the same type of noise "water bottle in the door panel" for several months now. I took a ride in the left rear seat of the car to identify the location. It definitely appears to be coming from the rear quarter panel area. Will get it in to SC soon for diagnosis.

Our 2017 S90D has a very similar almost buzzing sound from the rear right going over repeated high-frequency bumps. I took some of the rear carpet out of the trunk and tried to find a fix, but its likely something else.

I should schedule a service appointment and have them look at it an also replace a door handle that seems like its about to go out.

Our 2017 S90D has a very similar almost buzzing sound from the rear right going over repeated high-frequency bumps. I took some of the rear carpet out of the trunk and tried to find a fix, but its likely something else.

I should schedule a service appointment and have them look at it an also replace a door handle that seems like its about to go out.

Just curious, how do you know that the door handle is about to fail? Does it make a certain sound or does it fail to present?