Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L or no L?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The forces involved in a roller coaster often make it difficult for you to maintain control of your limbs such that if you had a car that accelerated that fast... losing control at that rate of acceleration is a very real possibility. (Ignoring mechanical problems that kind of acceleration yields)...
Actually since roller coasters are un-powered, therefore they cannot accelerate faster than 1G. P90D can. :)

... cedar point and ride top thrill dragster for insane acceleration that even a tesla can't produce (0-120 in 3.8 seconds).
Actually since roller coasters are un-powered, therefore they cannot accelerate faster than 1G. P90D can. :)

There are numerous roller coasters in existence, the majority are gravity powered as you mentioned, but top thrill dragster is an example of a coaster that uses an insanely powerful hydraulic system to pull the sled at around 1.44G.

P90D Ludicrous is 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. Using the same math formula I pulled from elsewhere we get about 1.06G.

The linked forum used 4 seconds for it's calculation making it's calculation just slightly lower (but still higher than a P90D).

Moreover: Gravity powered roller coasters typically don't accelerate on the same axis that a car does making them almost completely irrelevant in terms of a "pushing you into your seat" feel.

Last edited:
There are numerous roller coasters in existence, the majority are gravity powered as you mentioned, but top thrill dragster is an example of a coaster that uses an insanely powerful hydraulic system to pull the sled at around 1.44G.
If it's powered, it isn't "coasting", so it's not a coaster. Every roller coaster is an amusement ride, not every amusement ride is a roller coaster. ;-)

P90D Ludicrous is 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. Using the same math formula I pulled from elsewhere we get about 1.06G.
The linked forum used 4 seconds for it's calculation making it's calculation just slightly lower (but still higher than a P90D).
Plenty of data out there (including this forum) with acceleration measured multiple times per second, rather than taking average from 0 to 60. Even non L P85D can top 1G.

Moreover: Gravity powered roller coasters typically don't accelerate on the same axis that a car does making them almost completely irrelevant in terms of a "pushing you into your seat" feel.
If it pushes you back into the seat, you are accelerating forward. Model S can also turn, go up or down hill. The only thing I wouldn't suggest doing is rolling upside down unless you have a special track with a loop. ;-)

If it's powered, it isn't "coasting", so it's not a coaster. Every roller coaster is an amusement ride, not every amusement ride is a roller coaster. ;-)

Plenty of data out there (including this forum) with acceleration measured multiple times per second, rather than taking average from 0 to 60. Even non L P85D can top 1G.

If it pushes you back into the seat, you are accelerating forward. Model S can also turn, go up or down hill. The only thing I wouldn't suggest doing is rolling upside down unless you have a special track with a loop. ;-)

-It's not powered, it's pulled and then coasts. If you pull it up a hill and let it fall, gravity powered. If you pull it down a straight section of track gaining speed all the while, it's hydraulic powered. They're just different terms used to describe the difference between a chain lift-hill and a hydraulic speed launch. Moot point as this doesn't change the fact that you have far safer alternatives to crashing your car at 140mph while drag racing down the interstate...

-Yes, acceleration changes throughout the acceleration process, both for the Roller Coaster and for ludicrous mode. Instantaneous acceleration is likely higher for both than average acceleration. Especially for the roller coaster as there is a significant portion of that 3.8s wherein the coaster is just coasting and loosing speed due to air resistance before it hit the speed tracking device (this section is a necessary component of the design of the launch, as the metal tongue that pulls the train needs to disengage from the train and then also slow down).

-My point with the gravity powered comment is that typically while accelerating your more free-falling at an angle so the acceleration gets distributed across multiple axis lessening the perceived intensity of the acceleration.

The forces involved in a roller coaster often make it difficult for you to maintain control of your limbs such that if you had a car that accelerated that fast... losing control at that rate of acceleration is a very real possibility. (Ignoring mechanical problems that kind of acceleration yields)...

Real top fuel dragster can accelerate 0-300 in 4.5 seconds and 0-60 in .5 seconds pulling a little over 4 g's and they maintain control (they don't have to turn much:)). I think the motor in the P90DL doesn't have enough HP to turn the supercharger on a top fuel 500ci Hemi engine.

Real top fuel dragster can accelerate 0-300 in 4.5 seconds and 0-60 in .5 seconds pulling a little over 4 g's and they maintain control (they don't have to turn much:)). I think the motor in the P90DL doesn't have enough HP to turn the supercharger on a top fuel 500ci Hemi engine.

true, but what is also true is my 58 year old mother cant waltz into a dodge showroom and get a top fuel dragster.

While in the grand scheme of things another 10k is just another 10k, but it's starting to hit the point where i'm questioning if I need it.
If you got it, and it doesn't affect the kids going to college and all the other things to worry about in life, then I would do it. You can't take it with you. As others have posted, it is more about the high speed passing. I wish I had the 90, the P, the D, and the L! There is a lot to be said about going from 70 to 100 quickly for safe passing, etc. and fun! The MS is the first car that I have found low 100s to be a non event.

Last edited:
If you got it, and it doesn't affect the kids going to college and all the other things to worry about in life, then I would do it. You can't take it with you. As others have posted, it is more about the high speed passing. I wish I had the 90, the P, the D, and the L! There is a lot to be said about going from 70 to 100 quickly for safe passing, etc. and fun! The MS is the first car that I have found low 100s to be a non event.

That is exactly how I think of buying things. Just buy the best you can afford. I got a Wolf dual fuel oven, a great stainless steel grill in the garden, the best mixer money can buy. hack even the iron my wife uses was the most expensive we could find. You know what, we are so glad we saved a little more to purchase these things. It makes life so much more pleasant. I'm thinking of changing the M3 reservation into an X. Unfortunately, a P is out of my league let alone the ludicrous. I will do the 90 though and thinking even to get the Premium Upgrade.