Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 vs early 2017 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! First post here. My father grabbed a P85DL model S a few years back on my rec and the bug has bit me harder than expected. It's time to get a model X P90D or P100D to replace our aging X5 50i. I'm looking at fairly early models to keep the price under $80k. The P models are a must for me.

Questions:
1) Grandfathered supercharging: Would it make sense to get a late 2016 P100D over early 2017 to have the grandfathered free supercharging? Is there an easy way to check if this is active outside driving to a supercharging station?
2) VIN Decoding: Is there a VIN decoder that shows options equipped? The teslatap site has only basic info, not options from what I can see.
3) Have some P90D's been converted to P100D's? I've seen a couple that have some service dates early enough in 2016 that I doubt they're really P100D's.

Thanks in advance!

All third party 2016 should have transferrable supercharging if sold through the original owner (Tesla could strip it if sold thru them and some rumors of it getting lost thru a third party deaker). Same goes for the first few weeks of 2017, although hard to verify. VIN decoding won't tell you much interesting. P90Ds could have been paid upgraded or more likely warranty upgraded to P100Ds.

Lots of cars under $80k. Have you tried ev-cpo? Are you only looking at AP2 cars? That would be my requirement..

Last edited:
FYI:
There is a 2019 X , blue with black interior, 5 seater, with ludicrous and 2000 miles on it as inventory car which had some minor damage repaired and it is selling for 78k.
We were send that as one of our choices as we are looking at Model X as we await our MY but we passed on it.
I believe it is a Raven as well.
You may want to contact sale advisor to see if that car is still available.

All third party 2016 should have transferrable supercharging if sold through the original owner (Tesla could strip it if sold thru them and some rumors of it getting lost thru a third party deaker). Same goes for the first few weeks of 2017, although hard to verify. VIN decoding won't tell you much interesting. P90Ds could have been paid upgraded or more likely warranty upgraded to P100Ds.

Lots of cars under $80k. Have you tried ev-cpo? Are you only looking at AP2 cars? That would be my requirement..

Thanks!

1) It sounds like it's a bit hit or miss, but original owner > third party > tesla in terms of likelihood of the supercharging remaining free. It sounds like I just need to confirm this on the individual car.

2) Agree, it's basic. I found a nice Tesla decoder (with features) looking for the P85D a couple years back, but can't find it anymore. I was hoping someone would know the site.

3) Is there an easy way to ID a P90D upgraded to P100D? Any loss of features/performance going with one of these vs a P100D that rolled off the lot that way? (outside newer in general being better with Tesla) How did P90D's get warrantied to P100D? Did they roll in saying their P90D is just too slow;)?

4) I'll look at EV-CPO. My notes say AP2 started 10/2016, so I'm thinking that 10/206 to 12/2016 window may be my sweet spot with AP2 and grandfathered supercharging.

2) Agree, it's basic. I found a nice Tesla decoder (with features) looking for the P85D a couple years back, but can't find it anymore. I was hoping someone would know the site.

It’s what Krash said. The VIN does not contain any options or features information. No site can decode just the VIN to anything different than what the TeslaTap site does.

I think what you are referring to is the Options Decoder on EV-CPO.com which displays all the option details for any VIN in the database, which is pretty much any car,new, inventory, or used, listed for sale on Tesla’s own website since early 2015.
See: https://ev-cpo.com/lookup

Also worth noting if you start to look at cars mid 2017 that the motors changed. We don't know exactly how, but it was enough to add the option code DU01 for post June manufacture dates. My guess is newer inverters.

Otherwise the P90D and P100D should be nearly the same, any difference being just the non battery changes over time.

Great resource.

Thanks!

EV-CPO - thanks, yes I was looking for a database that shows options associated with a specific VIN. I assume there isn't a similar database available online with every car?

Unfortunately no, only Tesla has access to that info internally.*

*I know at least one entity that has a trove of internal Tesla data, but they're not sharing or publishing it for obvious reasons. :)

It's the Tesla way. Information is control. Complete secrecy unless absolutely necessary or forced by law (and even then they sometimes don't comply). Tesla won't even release the service records of a used car to new owners, citing 'privacy concerns'. Every other car maker will gladly print off the service history for a new owner (purged of previous owner info, of course). But not Tesla.

BMW has a massive public database of options by VIN for cars made going back at least 20 years, which I've used many many times. I agree, I see no reason that Tesla can't publish (or sell) the same information. They don't actually lose anything by doing so, and would gain a ton of goodwill with owners and potential buyers.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj and bhorn