Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leased car, scratched wheels. Covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leased a 2022 Model 3 with 19 inch wheels. I scratched both wheels while parking. Actually, my “friend” did! I’m guessing I’ll have to pay for new wheels when my lease is up? A friend suggested that I put wheel covers over them. Would they not remove wheel covers to look at the original wheels? I also can’t find wheel covers for 19 inch model 3s.

Thoughts?

I leased a 2022 Model 3 with 19 inch wheels. I scratched both wheels while parking. Actually, my “friend” did! I’m guessing I’ll have to pay for new wheels when my lease is up? A friend suggested that I put wheel covers over them. Would they not remove wheel covers to look at the original wheels? I also can’t find wheel covers for 19 inch model 3s.

Thoughts?
If you have the newest version of 19 inch, there are some covers that recently came out, see this thread:
Aero Covers For 19" Sport Wheels

However as you say, they may lift to check anyways, so whether you get a cover should really depend on if you want them (for styling, aero, or protection from further curbing).

Depending on how bad it is, they may just treat it as common wear and tear, given Tesla's with curbed wheels are extremely common. If you want a quick fix you can look up touch up paint. Depending on how deep, you may need some filler.

Thoughts?
My thought is, you should read through the lease return wear guides and make a determination. You are not going to put covers on something and not pay for damage, though.

If it's only a scratch, not a dent like what driving above a pothole will make,
you might be able to DIY fix it, see numerous Youtube videos,
or to get it professionally repaired, it might cost from $50 to $200 per wheel.

Note: When doing parallel parking, I added a profile where I set my side rearview mirrors
to be slented in such a way that I can see the rear wheel and the street curbside.
Also the rear view camera video shows clearly on the Tesla screen the track of the car with two white lines.

Note: Compared to other cars that I have been driving, the Tesla steering circle is much wider,
so when doing parallel parking, the car don't let you steer the car close to the side curbside.
You often need two or three manoeuvers to complete a parallel parking or a U-Turn compared to other cars.

Last edited:
Tesla seems to charge $85 per wheel to repair scratches. If the damage is small (<3" iirc), there is no charge.

at this point, you are already on hook to get them repaired. I'd just leave them alone and pay the $85 per wheel. It is possible that wheel covers could do more damage to other parts of the wheel and will end up costing you more.

Tesla seems to charge $85 per wheel to repair scratches. If the damage is small (<3" iirc), there is no charge.

at this point, you are already on hook to get them repaired. I'd just leave them alone and pay the $85 per wheel. It is possible that wheel covers could do more damage to other parts of the wheel and will end up costing you more.

This is hopeful. I'd take $85 a wheel in a heartbeat. Here are some pics, along with some bumper damage. Any thoughts on the bumper?

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 118
Someone dragged their boat trailer across my front bumper. The body shop had this special plastic welder/filler that made it look good as new. Obviously they had to paint the whole thing afterwards.

The end result was actually better than new as the paint was a much closer match. Also, there was a perfect rectangular section at the center of the bumper where the clear coat was missing. It looked like a protective cushion was taped to the bumper when the clear coat was still soft. When the cushion was removed, it took the clear coat with it. At least that's what it looked like.