Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Model Y Outside in Winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be leaving my 2022 Model Y with my son for 4 months this winter. It will be kept outside and he does not have an indoor charger. He lives in Croton, NY and the weather can get extremely cold in the Winter. The closest Supercharger in only 15 minutes from his home. I realize cold temps reduces the range substantially. In order to keep the battery warmer, would you recommend I purchase the Tesla Mobile Connecter and have it plugged into the 110W plug from the garage? Or, do you think it's fine just leaving it parked outside in the cold and driven a few times a week to charge at the supercharger.

I would suggest indeed, getting th Mobile connector if you don't have one and just leave the car plugged in. If no one is driving it, set the battery charge level to about 50%.

If you need an extension cord, use the shortest and heaviest duty one available. A 50 ft 12/3 is about what you want. You also need to make sure that nothing else is on the circuit, like the garage refrigerator.

Upvote 0
Plugging in the Tesla Model Y will not by this action alone cause the battery to be warmed. The battery will not be harmed unless the outside temperature falls below -22F for more than 24 hours at a time. You would want to leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in and able to charge as required to maintain the battery state of charge at ~50%.

Preconditioning the Tesla Model Y in cold weather would partially warm the battery. Unless the Tesla Model Y will be driven after preconditioning this would just waste energy.

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual:

Specifications - High Voltage Battery: Do not expose Model Y to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time.

From Wikipedia: Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 22°F to 84°F and is rarely below 8°F or above 92°F. Ref: Climate in Croton-on-Hudson.

Personally I would be more concerned about field mice and other small rodents building nests using wire insulation, etc. when a Tesla Model Y (or any recently manufactured vehicle that uses soy based wire insulation, hoses) is left parked outdoors for an extended period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0