Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion needed Model X trade in for 2 cars Model Y and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jhonnyXives

Red/Black July 2021 LR 7 Seat FSD
Aug 20, 2019
MA
Hello there, I have been a model X owner since 2019. I had the 2019 X (Raven) 7 Seater (FSD Package) and then I got the 2022 Refresh Model X 7 Seater (FSD)

I have had just one car all this time, I drive a lot as WFH is over and my wife is WFH 100% but at times we have felt the need to have a second car. For budget, it' won't be a good financial decision for us to add an additional car on top of the X.

I was thinking of selling the X and getting a Model 3 and Model Y on lease which also saves us money on monthly payments even if I get both of them.

Facts:

• no kids, neither planned.
  • 2 Dogs (small and large)
  • 7 Seat used mostly when some family comes over and we have 2 dogs so the dogs take one row and humans take the other. (Happens 2 times a year so really not a big need)
  • Plan to leave the country in 3 years.
  • Live in area that gets snow/blizzards in the winter season.
For model 3 I am considering the base cheapest model no EAP as it won't be driven much (less than 5k miles a year) and for trips less than 15 miles one way.

Additional Info:

Model Y will be the primary car.

Will be driven 90 miles 2 days a week

My questions are:

• What will I miss from the Model X ? Will I miss the screen above the Yoke?
  • Does Model Y have actual stalks for Blinkers and press in middle for honk?
    • I HATE the yoke and the capacitive buttons on it for blinkers, honk because sometimes they don't even work!
  • We live in cold climate but the cars always park in garage, does Model X have something that I will miss in colder climates? Does model X have heated washer nozzles that Y doesn't?
  • Model X has a very soft suspension, feels like floating in the air, is that something significantly different on Model Y? I drive model X on Auto Suspension or Comfort.
  • Which model Y is a good option?
    • MYP (EAP): It looks the best, I have a Red MX and want the Red MYP as well. But I have heard it rides a bit hard.
    • MYLR (EAP 5 seat): Still looks nice, has longer range maybe rides softer but no Matrix lights and no sport suspension.
  • If we have a few months remaining on our lease on MYP and M3, and we have to leave the country, how easy is it to transfer lease or have someone buyout the lease without paying out of pocket?
  • Model Y I have heard is coming with HW4, is that something that has any weight in the decision?

You'll only miss the screen above the steering wheel for a short time. I just went from a Model S to a Model Y and it took very little time to adapt to that difference.

The Y currently has two stalks - one for shifting, one for turn signals. The refresh 3 (Highland) that is about to come out soon will not have stalks. I imagine the Y will lose then some time after that.

You won't have the air suspension on a Model Y although the current MYP rides much better than the older (2022 and older models) it does not ride smooth like an S or X. It rides a lot more like a Model 3. My wife has a Model 3 LR RWD and I got a new Model Y P a few weeks ago. Honestly the ride is very similar between the two.

For the car that is driven very little - why not a used Nissan Leaf? For the amount of miles you are talking about you really don't need to splurge on a Tesla for that.

I think you are right on that, It definitely would make sense to get a cheaper second EV but Nissan Leaf used are like giving 70-80 miles, I did want the flexibility to have at least 200 miles if we decide to go on a longer drive with larger family. I was also thinking leasing a Hyundai Kona EV or Kia Niro EV (I think they are pretty much the same). Chevy Bolt Lease offers are horrible.

You're asking in the Model Y section so you're probably going to get a pretty strong Model Y contingency in your responses.

Personally, I miss the 2 screens more than I thought I would. I think it depends on how you use the vehicle but I really miss having the FULL screen that I can customize for my personal use (I like having the music info, camera AND maps visible all at once and persistently) but since the left 1/3rd of the screen has to be devoted to what would be on the instrument cluster screen on an S/X it's not possible.

Sure, you "get used to it" but that doesn't meant he experience doesn't suffer from only having a single centrally mounted display. We only added a Y to our fleet because of the great deal we got on it and I temper my opinion of it (still largely positive, overall) against the price difference which still favors it to an X because of this.

That said, I can see us replacing this Y w/an X in the future largely to get some of the features back that we got used to on our Model S cars. Sadly, the yoke and lack of stalks makes this a more difficult decision than it was previously. I know we can get a real steering wheel now which is nice but the stalks/capacitive touch buttons may be more of a deal breaker anyway.

Again, YMMV but that's my feedback on that topic.

You're asking in the Model Y section so you're probably going to get a pretty strong Model Y contingency in your responses.

Personally, I miss the 2 screens more than I thought I would. I think it depends on how you use the vehicle but I really miss having the FULL screen that I can customize for my personal use (I like having the music info, camera AND maps visible all at once and persistently) but since the left 1/3rd of the screen has to be devoted to what would be on the instrument cluster screen on an S/X it's not possible.

Sure, you "get used to it" but that doesn't meant he experience doesn't suffer from only having a single centrally mounted display. We only added a Y to our fleet because of the great deal we got on it and I temper my opinion of it (still largely positive, overall) against the price difference which still favors it to an X because of this.

That said, I can see us replacing this Y w/an X in the future largely to get some of the features back that we got used to on our Model S cars. Sadly, the yoke and lack of stalks makes this a more difficult decision than it was previously. I know we can get a real steering wheel now which is nice but the stalks/capacitive touch buttons may be more of a deal breaker anyway.

Again, YMMV but that's my feedback on that topic.
Thanks for the reply! The latest Model X/S do not let you modify or customize your instrument cluster AT ALL. The left side is Maps, Center is Autopilot view and Right side is Speed. My 2019 Model X Raven let me customize it which was so much nicer.. Somehow I feel like their UX person left and interns are doing the job as it's clearly going back in time.

No honk in middle and capacitive buttons are very bad and unsafe. At times the blinkers don't work, once during an exit on a highway, I had to exit from the lane without blinkers, which was very unsafe could have caused an accident.

You’ll likely miss the space. We now have a Y and a refreshed X plaid (traded in a 3). The size difference is noticeable. The frunk and sub trunk are quite smaller in the Y. We also have 2 dogs and while they can fit behind the 2nd row, since the roofline slopes a lot sooner in the Y, our bigger dog (55lb golden doodle) has to duck down in the back.

Hello there, I have been a model X owner since 2019. I had the 2019 X (Raven) 7 Seater (FSD Package) and then I got the 2022 Refresh Model X 7 Seater (FSD)

I have had just one car all this time, I drive a lot as WFH is over and my wife is WFH 100% but at times we have felt the need to have a second car. For budget, it' won't be a good financial decision for us to add an additional car on top of the X.

I was thinking of selling the X and getting a Model 3 and Model Y on lease which also saves us money on monthly payments even if I get both of them.

Facts:

• no kids, neither planned.
  • 2 Dogs (small and large)
  • 7 Seat used mostly when some family comes over and we have 2 dogs so the dogs take one row and humans take the other. (Happens 2 times a year so really not a big need)
  • Plan to leave the country in 3 years.
  • Live in area that gets snow/blizzards in the winter season.
For model 3 I am considering the base cheapest model no EAP as it won't be driven much (less than 5k miles a year) and for trips less than 15 miles one way.

Additional Info:

Model Y will be the primary car.

Will be driven 90 miles 2 days a week

My questions are:

• What will I miss from the Model X ? Will I miss the screen above the Yoke?
  • Does Model Y have actual stalks for Blinkers and press in middle for honk?
    • I HATE the yoke and the capacitive buttons on it for blinkers, honk because sometimes they don't even work!
  • We live in cold climate but the cars always park in garage, does Model X have something that I will miss in colder climates? Does model X have heated washer nozzles that Y doesn't?
  • Model X has a very soft suspension, feels like floating in the air, is that something significantly different on Model Y? I drive model X on Auto Suspension or Comfort.
  • Which model Y is a good option?
    • MYP (EAP): It looks the best, I have a Red MX and want the Red MYP as well. But I have heard it rides a bit hard.
    • MYLR (EAP 5 seat): Still looks nice, has longer range maybe rides softer but no Matrix lights and no sport suspension.
  • If we have a few months remaining on our lease on MYP and M3, and we have to leave the country, how easy is it to transfer lease or have someone buyout the lease without paying out of pocket?
  • Model Y I have heard is coming with HW4, is that something that has any weight in the decision?
Hi
Model Y long range, 19” wheels for comfort. I feared I’d misss the front display, in fact it was my biggest concern, but I’ve never missed it in the slightest personally and don’t even think about it to the point that when I occasionally use an ICE car it feels strange.