Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left foot braking, technical positioning question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He looked at your car's seat assembly? I've not dealt with aftermarket seats before, so it is possible to have the quick mount to the vehicle's pre-existing track mounts? The tricky thing with the Model 3 compared to most ICE vehicles is a lack of access to the underside of the cabin floorpan. You've the battery pack in the way and dropping that out to access under the floorpan is a major operation.
He hadn't, no. And I admit I haven't even looked under the seat at this point because I'm early in the exploring options phase. But they build the bottom bracket as an application-specific unit. So it's a big steel plate with bolt holes for where the stock seat bolts down, and then side brackets bolt to that and to the racing seat. I'll take pictures next time I'm there. They have the bottom brackets built for them and said since they don't have one for the model 3 yet they'd do it for no extra charge, because then they'd have a template they can use. So if I end up getting one you all will have the option :)

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
He hadn't, no. And I admit I haven't even looked under the seat at this point because I'm early in the exploring options phase. But they build the bottom bracket as an application-specific unit. So it's a big steel plate with bolt holes for where the stock seat bolts down, and then side brackets bolt to that and to the racing seat. I'll take pictures next time I'm there. They have the bottom brackets built for them and said since they don't have one for the model 3 yet they'd do it for no extra charge, because then they'd have a template they can use. So if I end up getting one you all will have the option :)
Did some digging. Turns out the stock seats are bolted from the top, should be able the install a replacement by bolting directly into the floorpan so long as 4 matching bolts are used for the replacement seat assembly.

Have not tested to see if the system throws errors when the wiring harness is unhooked from the stock seat assembly. However almost assured it would require creating some sort of replacement wiring harness to simulate the seat and seatbelt sensors. If the car doesn't detect you sitting in the seat, and doesn't detect the seatbelt clipped, it immediately puts the vehicle in Park as soon as you try to move it. It assumes you've fallen/stepped out and the vehicle is at risk of rolling away by itself.

Last edited: