Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 Tesla charger "Charging stopped - Power lost while charging" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kcheng76

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2015
Hummelstown, PA
I have have the same level 2 chargerTPN: 1011831-99-B, TSN T13A0001553 since 2013. Last time I used it on my 2018 100D Model S, I turned off the power to the charger during charging. Now it gives me the error message:

Charging stoped - Power lost while charging
Check power source and charging equipment

I am able to supercharge the car.

I tried the following, but continue to get the same error message:

I rebooted the car.
I turned the power to the charger off for a night before trying again.
I pushed the reset button before and during attempted charging, including holding the button down for over a minute, which in the past has worked.

It would seem to me a software reset on the charger or car would be appropriate, but the reboot should have done that.

Do I need to buy a new charger? suggestions for what next?

I am thinking of visiting the level 2 charger at the Antique Automobile Museum in Hershey if it is still there to see if charging on that resets the car in a way that gets rid of the error.

IMG_3329.jpeg

IMG_3326.jpeg

Some 10 year old electronic component might have bitten the dust with it being turned off under load. I would double check to see if you can charge on a different J1772 EVSE, maybe even with the Mobile Connector one if you have one, to eliminate the car as a possible problem. Supercharging bypasses AC charging, so that doesn't mean anything.

Upvote 0
By all means try your car on another EVSE. I doubt it will "reset" anything, but it will clarify whether the car or your HPWC are at fault. You might also want to open the HPWC (kill the breaker first!) just to see if there is any obvious damage from overheating or a blown component on the main board.

Upvote 0
I posted about my 2014 Clipper Creek HDS-40 EVSE becoming unreliable less than a month ago. The unit worked well since installation in 2014, but I began getting intermittent error codes on my Tesla Model Y and my wife's BMW 330e Plug-in Hybrid. Many of my 2023 Tesla Model Y error codes were the same as yours.

After Tesla and BMW both confirmed that the issue wasn't with their car (BMW service checked the port on their test equipment - Tesla service read the error codes remotely), a call to the technical team at Clipper Creek suggested the problem is a worn "pilot wire" which is part of the connecting cable assembly. The pilot wire is a "wear item" with an estimated life of 5-8 years, according to Clipper Creek. The EVSE continuity fails, typically related to the position of the wire/handle as it connects to the car at different angles for each charge. Clipper Creek said it may work intermittently, but it no longer will be reliable until repaired/replaced.

I replaced it with the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector and both cars now charge normally without issue. Perhaps there is a similar pilot wire (or related component) issue with your current charger. Instead of trying to trouble shoot it, I opted for the new Wall Connector - less hassle and better reliability. The Wall Connector is also most economical solution in today's market.

Unfortunately the new NACS/J1772 combo connector wasn't available when I ordered the J1772 Wall Connector, but it's not a big deal - the NACS to J1772 Tesla adapter works fine, and the sleek easy to use J1772 Telsa connector is lightweight, has a grippy handle and works fine. As an added bonus the Clipper Creek was limited to 40AMP circuits, 7.2KW charging, while the Wall Connector can handle 60AMP circuits, 11.6KW. Be sure that your wire from the panel to the Wall Connector is the correct gauge to handle the desired power, and that the circuit breaker is properly sized and grounded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0