Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License plate security screws?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
My mom had her front license plate stolen off of her car several years ago. Ever since then I’ve always used security screws to affix the license plates to my cars. Has anyone done this with their Model 3? If so what size screws fit properly?

I ended up getting this security screw kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RM6P9B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6VSoBbKSX8R9Y

Unfortunately it is no longer available on Amazon. I went with this kit because it uses the two hole security screw style which is still a bit rare and therefore less likely someone looking to swipe your plate will have the correct bit to remove it.
Looks like they sell several other kits, but with a smaller number of fasteners. Which size/type ended up working for the M3?

The Truck Security site says that the size is #10 x 3/4" Sheet metal screw. I'm going to local hardware store to get it and try. I may also get those little chrome screw covers from amazon or just paint the screws the plate color.

In case it helps anyone, I believe these are the equivalent parts to those in the security plate mounting kit with links to Home Depot. I've just placed my order. They're not in stock at my local store, but should be ready for pickup in less than a week. Even though Tesla only provides 2 screws for the original mounting, I ordered two of the 2 packs of screws so the plate doesn't rattle when I close the trunk. Still a bargain.

Everbilt #10 x 3/4 in. Stainless-Steel Pan-Head Spanner Sheet Metal Screws (2-Pack) 83¢
Crown Bolt #10 Steel Spanner Drive Insert Bit $2.57

Attachments

• tesla_plate_mounting.jpg
    tesla_plate_mounting.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Helpful
Reactions: C141medic