Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light show security

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am expecting delivery of my Model Y in March so I have been reading and watching a lot of YouTube videos about MY and Teslas in general

One thing I came across were these cool light shows that people make and then I guess you can download and play on your car

I am wondering if there are any security concerns with this, like can someone put malware or a virus or something on your car by putting on one of these light shows? They seem cool but I don’t know how paranoid I should be about viruses in general with the car. My past cars have all been pretty basic so this is my first time having to think about this kind of stuff.

Sorry if this is a silly question, just feels like there is a lot to learn

Reactions: freed0m
I am expecting delivery of my Model Y in March so I have been reading and watching a lot of YouTube videos about MY and Teslas in general

One thing I came across were these cool light shows that people make and then I guess you can download and play on your car

I am wondering if there are any security concerns with this, like can someone put malware or a virus or something on your car by putting on one of these light shows? They seem cool but I don’t know how paranoid I should be about viruses in general with the car. My past cars have all been pretty basic so this is my first time having to think about this kind of stuff.

I dont think the light shows are an issue, but, with that being said, I fully believe questioning this type of thing (anything software related install on your devices) is the right thing to do. Its right to be cautious, and if you are unsure, to not install something, whatever that something is.

Reactions: 42M3
I believe the OP may be wondering if any of the Light Shows downloadable from a GitHub repository, which can be installed via flash drive, are at risk of containing malware. the built in ones are from Tesla and are obviously safe. While I believe I understood the question, I unfortunately don’t know the answer. I’ve seen the UI for creating a show, but I know nothing of the underlying code or the type of file created for upload to the car. Anyone with experience on GitHub’s Light Show project care to chime in?

Last edited:
I believe the OP may be wondering if any of the Light Shows downloadable from a GitHub repository, which can be installed via flash drive, are at risk of containing malware. the built in ones are from Tesla and are obviously safe. While I believe I understood the question, I unfortunately don’t know the answer. I’ve seen the UI for creating a show, but I know nothing of the underlying code or the type of file created for upload to the car. Anyone with experience on GitHub’s Light Show project care to chime in?

Thanks, yes, this is what I was concerned about.

I dont think the light shows are an issue, but, with that being said, I fully believe questioning this type of thing (anything software related install on your devices) is the right thing to do. Its right to be cautious, and if you are unsure, to not install something, whatever that something is.
I agree with the above. The only stupid question is the one you fail to ask.

Not a silly question at all. I create light shows and also sell custom USB drives that people can put light shows on. I also have a background in cyber warefare (military). While the actual files that are used in the process are relatively simple (and easy to scan) it does bring up a very good point: at the end of the day, you're downloading something from the internet or buying something from a stranger and putting it in your car's computer.

But, for those who don't know anything about the process, I'll break down a little bit of the basics. And I'll also provide my suggestions for security measures you can take to be safe.

Tesla light shows are created using a community created, open source freeware called xLights (there is also another one called Vixen, that probably has similar roots). This is a very powerful program, typically used to program house (or large scale) light shows using a variety of types of hardware. It's waaaaaaay overkill for what is needed for a Tesla light show. As an example, there are effects and transitions that you can use, if your house is covered in "smart" bulbs. None of those tools are applicable to the Tesla. The car looks for simple commands like "On, white, 100% brightness." There are a few other brightness setting that equate to fading up or down certain lights (that have the capability) and controlling things like the windows, hatch, FWDs, etc. But it's still a simple "on" command with a specific brightness setting.

Once all the commands are put on the timeline (kind of like editing a video) you then save the show to a file with a .FSEQ extension. These are known as Falcon Player files, as they were originally intended to be used for your home light show in various light controllers. (If you're intersted about the specifics of what's in the file, you can see this: GitHub - Cryptkeeper/fseq-file-format: Reverse engineered documentation of the Falcon sequence version 2 (FSEQ) file format.). Also, since xLights is open source, you could actually go read the code and see what they're writing out to the file, if you know what to look for (I don't). This .FSEQ is also accompanied by the audio file (the song) that it is synchronized with.

So, back to the original question: would it be easy for someone to put some malicious code into one of these files (the FSEQ or the MP3/WAV audio file)? Probably not "easy" but certainly possible if they were motivated to do so, and had the know-how. I'm not an expert at the Tesla's firmware, but my understanding is that there are firewalls in place to separate any primary control functions (accelerator, steering, etc.) from the "entertainment" area. Lights and windows probably fall somewhere in the middle, but still on the "entertainment" side. These items are typically found running on a bus system in modern cars. When you turn on the lights, you actually just send data to the light saying, "turn on." Not changing the power to the device. So, I honestly don't think they'd get very far in the Tesla internal software. AGAIN--not an expert at this. And I've seen the videos of people "hacking" a Tesla.. it usually involves hard wiring into an ethernet port in the car to gain access to the root of the system. Different from what a USB drive can access.

So, the chance of your light show containing malicious code is probably about the same as the MP3 or WAV file having malicious code. Best to scan anything you get from the internet, even if it's from a known/trusted source. A good (and free) site is VirusTotal where you can either upload the file, or even point to the URL of the file before you download it. It will scan it with 60+ different tools (see attached example) to look for anything fishy.

And if you buy a USB drive with a pre-loaded light show from someone, you should definitely scan it (preferably sandboxed) before putting it in your car. This would apply to any device that's not straight from the store/factory (and even then, sometimes.. you sure that Bestbuy USB drive was "new new"?).

TLDR: Yes, it's possible to have a "virus" in a lightshow file or on a lightshow USB drive.. but just as possible as virtually any other file you download or use off of the internet. Practice good cyber security by always scanning them prior to use.

Attachments

• virus_scan.png
    virus_scan.png
    136 KB · Views: 126
Not a silly question at all. I create light shows and also sell custom USB drives that people can put light shows on. I also have a background in cyber warefare (military). While the actual files that are used in the process are relatively simple (and easy to scan) it does bring up a very good point: at the end of the day, you're downloading something from the internet or buying something from a stranger and putting it in your car's computer.

But, for those who don't know anything about the process, I'll break down a little bit of the basics. And I'll also provide my suggestions for security measures you can take to be safe.

Tesla light shows are created using a community created, open source freeware called xLights (there is also another one called Vixen, that probably has similar roots). This is a very powerful program, typically used to program house (or large scale) light shows using a variety of types of hardware. It's waaaaaaay overkill for what is needed for a Tesla light show. As an example, there are effects and transitions that you can use, if your house is covered in "smart" bulbs. None of those tools are applicable to the Tesla. The car looks for simple commands like "On, white, 100% brightness." There are a few other brightness setting that equate to fading up or down certain lights (that have the capability) and controlling things like the windows, hatch, FWDs, etc. But it's still a simple "on" command with a specific brightness setting.

Once all the commands are put on the timeline (kind of like editing a video) you then save the show to a file with a .FSEQ extension. These are known as Falcon Player files, as they were originally intended to be used for your home light show in various light controllers. (If you're intersted about the specifics of what's in the file, you can see this: GitHub - Cryptkeeper/fseq-file-format: Reverse engineered documentation of the Falcon sequence version 2 (FSEQ) file format.). Also, since xLights is open source, you could actually go read the code and see what they're writing out to the file, if you know what to look for (I don't). This .FSEQ is also accompanied by the audio file (the song) that it is synchronized with.

So, back to the original question: would it be easy for someone to put some malicious code into one of these files (the FSEQ or the MP3/WAV audio file)? Probably not "easy" but certainly possible if they were motivated to do so, and had the know-how. I'm not an expert at the Tesla's firmware, but my understanding is that there are firewalls in place to separate any primary control functions (accelerator, steering, etc.) from the "entertainment" area. Lights and windows probably fall somewhere in the middle, but still on the "entertainment" side. These items are typically found running on a bus system in modern cars. When you turn on the lights, you actually just send data to the light saying, "turn on." Not changing the power to the device. So, I honestly don't think they'd get very far in the Tesla internal software. AGAIN--not an expert at this. And I've seen the videos of people "hacking" a Tesla.. it usually involves hard wiring into an ethernet port in the car to gain access to the root of the system. Different from what a USB drive can access.

So, the chance of your light show containing malicious code is probably about the same as the MP3 or WAV file having malicious code. Best to scan anything you get from the internet, even if it's from a known/trusted source. A good (and free) site is VirusTotal where you can either upload the file, or even point to the URL of the file before you download it. It will scan it with 60+ different tools (see attached example) to look for anything fishy.

And if you buy a USB drive with a pre-loaded light show from someone, you should definitely scan it (preferably sandboxed) before putting it in your car. This would apply to any device that's not straight from the store/factory (and even then, sometimes.. you sure that Bestbuy USB drive was "new new"?).

TLDR: Yes, it's possible to have a "virus" in a lightshow file or on a lightshow USB drive.. but just as possible as virtually any other file you download or use off of the internet. Practice good cyber security by always scanning them prior to use.
Thanks for the reply, this is really helpful

Where do you find these files that people have created?