Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Concerns with Pin-Connected Aftermarket Gadgets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I´ve always wanted to add some aftermarket accessories to my 2023 MY, however, I feel that connecting a 3rd party device to my Tesla system through a pin connection might leave the door open to some possible hacking / security backdoor down the road.

Even if there haven´t been any evidences so far about this happening currently, it feels that my Tesla car is simply "safer" without any additional wires connected to it whatsoever.

One important thing my 2023 MY misses is the rear screen for the kids. There´s tons of them out there on Amazon and AliExpress, but this entails connecting an Android device to my Tesla main system and I´m just not sure about it.

Any thoughts? Am I going borderline here?

• Helpful
Reactions: primedive
I´ve always wanted to add some aftermarket accessories to my 2023 MY, however, I feel that connecting a 3rd party device to my Tesla system through a pin connection might leave the door open to some possible hacking / security backdoor down the road.

Even if there haven´t been any evidences so far about this happening currently, it feels that my Tesla car is simply "safer" without any additional wires connected to it whatsoever.

One important thing my 2023 MY misses is the rear screen for the kids. There´s tons of them out there on Amazon and AliExpress, but this entails connecting an Android device to my Tesla main system and I´m just not sure about it.

Any thoughts? Am I going borderline here?
Only the paranoid survives :)
Kidding aside, I have the same concern and I stay away from android devices in general.

It makes sense if it’s a wireless type device (or provide wireless access).

But if it’s just the screen and it doesn’t provide any kind of wireless access, then the likelyhood of anyone hacking the car through such a device is the same as plugging via usb or directly anywhere else on the canbus.

That would simply be because without wireless, they’d have to break into the car to access the Android device, which is no different from accessing any other part of the car.

Even in the case of devices providing wireless access, you could also argue that the car also provides wireless access via its own Bluetooth system. Then tack on the fact that there are apps that can request access to the car like Tessie and such. It requires passwords and such, but no additional hardware.

So, paranoia about adding another device is kinda too late. Plus, Tesla most likely uses a custom variation of Android/Linux.