Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Acceleration temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in Northern California and have been noticing that some days when I leave for work in the morning there is full acceleration available while other days it is being limited (3-4 dots). The temperature is always in the mid-low 40s every morning.

I’m just wondering what temperature the battery has to be before the car starts limiting power to the motors? Is it normal for the limiting to be happening when its 45F outside?

Most likely it’s based off the battery’s ability to produce energy. This is mostly determined by its age/internal resistance, temperature, and state of charge. The dots appear to show up well after the power is being limited. On my AWD, the power feels a bit lower than it could be even if the car is parked in 70-80 degree weather. The battery needs to be fairly warm to produce full power, but it depends on the model and how hard the battery is being driven. Yes, it’s very normal for the power to be limited when it’s 45 outside. The car will warm the battery now if you preheat it, it takes a while though. It won’t be up to full power still, but it’s a lot closer.