Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Live in Tennessee but work in California. Want to buy in Cal but register in TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in Tennessee but work in California. I was waiting to be in California to buy existing inventory because where I live doesn't have much of what I want. And since I knew I was going to be in California I wanted to just buy out there. Is there any way around registering it in Cali. I am okay with paying the California sales tax because Tennessee recognizes it as paid taxes already. I have tried contacting support but really never get a concise answer. They say they can give me a trip permit, but I am out in cali for longer than that. Any help would be great.

Not really, I have seen blogger who picked up at Fremont and drove back to Canada and other states. There is no different. You just pay the cost of the car. You need to prove to have insurance and drive back to where ever you live and pay the rest (registration and tax).
That would be awesome! All tesla has told me is that I have to register it in CA if i take delivery there or get a trip permit which only lasts a few days which i need longer than that. Maybe things would change once i order and talk to ops team. Which i cant even get ahold of which would make things easier.

Upvote 0
Not really, I have seen blogger who picked up at Fremont and drove back to Canada and other states. There is no different. You just pay the cost of the car. You need to prove to have insurance and drive back to where ever you live and pay the rest (registration and tax).
Years ago I was living in Washington State (taxable) and purchased a car in California. The dealer had to give me an ownership statement to give to the DMV in Washington and I didn't have to pay any tax in California.

Upvote 0