Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales tax for california tesla purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Had a question regarding sales tax and purchase of a tesla in california. I am purchasing a tesla from a private buyer in california, then immediately having it transported to New mexico (where I live) for delivery. In the past when I have purchased out of state vehicles (virginia from a private buyer, arizona from Tesla directly) I typically take the car to the new mexico DMV, where I am charged sales tax and then I register the car. I have never paid sales tax in Arizona or Virginia for example. Is there any reason this process is different for a used car purchase in California? Is the sales tax issue treated any differently than in these prior situations?

Hi,

Had a question regarding sales tax and purchase of a tesla in california. I am purchasing a tesla from a private buyer in california, then immediately having it transported to New mexico (where I live) for delivery. In the past when I have purchased out of state vehicles (virginia from a private buyer, arizona from Tesla directly) I typically take the car to the new mexico DMV, where I am charged sales tax and then I register the car. I have never paid sales tax in Arizona or Virginia for example. Is there any reason this process is different for a used car purchase in California? Is the sales tax issue treated any differently than in these prior situations?
For used sales the process is the same as you described for Arizona and Virginia.

For new cars, the dealer selling the vehicle charges you a sales tax even if the vehicle is not going to be registered in California.

For used sales the process is the same as you described for Arizona and Virginia.

For new cars, the dealer selling the vehicle charges you a sales tax even if the vehicle is not going to be registered in California.
I did that a number of years ago. I would say late 1990's. I purchased a car in CA and drove it to Washington and didn't have to pay sales tax in CA. Maybe that has changed now that CA is money grubbing.

Reactions: AMPd
I did that a number of years ago. I would say late 1990's. I purchased a car in CA and drove it to Washington and didn't have to pay sales tax in CA. Maybe that has changed now that CA is money grubbing.
It’s definitely changed, there was talk about changing that and not charging sales tax for folks picking up the vehicle in Fremont and driving back to their home state, but I don’t think it went anywhere.