Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loading error from USB port.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem ("loading error") remains with FLAC files attempting to be played via the glovebox USB port for 2 month old M3. Ripped same material into WMA (Windows lossless format) files- same loading error message.

Initiated a campaign on Twitter: FreeFLAC! to try to stir up some groundswell to get attention to and fix for this problem. Please check out and weigh in!!

From a bunch of Tesla USB history noted on TMC over some years it seems this kind of problem may have been seen previously and maybe went away as a function of software updates. Likely current problem is software driven, not hardware.

Upvote 0
While Tesla used to support WMA, I thought they dropped it several years ago. The loading error used to be more common in the 2018-2020 timeframe, mostly with MP3, but it's rare to hear of it today. If you're using a HUB, try it without the hub. Not sure what else to suggest. Have you tried MP3 files? Not that you'd want to switch from FLAC, but as a test. I assume all FLAC files are the same. I use Media Monkey to code my FLAC files mostly at 44.1 kHz sample rate, with VBR off. Higher rates were supported in the past too. I know Tesla only supports two channels, but if you're using more channels, I thought it ignores the extra channels. I've not tested > 2 channels in FLAC.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same issue as SedonaGerry. It started about 3 years ago---also lost my streaming favorites at the same time----guessing one of the updates messed things up. I now have to remove the USB for 5-10 seconds, then plug it back in. After about 10-30 seconds the USB icon shows up and then I am all set------for the day. Usually, it will work all day as long as the car isn't turned off for more than an hour or so. I am old, retired and typically only drive a few miles a day to go babysit the grandchildren, so I now only use the USB if we travel.

I do think it is a little ironic that the guy (whom I respect the heck out of) can send rockets to space and re-use the capsules, but his car guys can't get a USB to work.. Does also make one wonder about the safety of self driving cars--not in my lifetime.

Best of luck Sedona.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same issue as SedonaGerry. It started about 3 years ago---also lost my streaming favorites at the same time----guessing one of the updates messed things up. I now have to remove the USB for 5-10 seconds, then plug it back in. After about 10-30 seconds the USB icon shows up and then I am all set------for the day. Usually, it will work all day as long as the car isn't turned off for more than an hour or so. I am old, retired and typically only drive a few miles a day to go babysit the grandchildren, so I now only use the USB if we travel.

I do think it is a little ironic that the guy (whom I respect the heck out of) can send rockets to space and re-use the capsules, but his car guys can't get a USB to work.. Does also make one wonder about the safety of self driving cars--not in my lifetime.

Best of luck Sedona.

Upvote 0
While Tesla used to support WMA, I thought they dropped it several years ago. The loading error used to be more common in the 2018-2020 timeframe, mostly with MP3, but it's rare to hear of it today. If you're using a HUB, try it without the hub. Not sure what else to suggest. Have you tried MP3 files? Not that you'd want to switch from FLAC, but as a test. I assume all FLAC files are the same. I use Media Monkey to code my FLAC files mostly at 44.1 kHz sample rate, with VBR off. Higher rates were supported in the past too. I know Tesla only supports two channels, but if you're using more channels, I thought it ignores the extra channels. I've not tested > 2 channels in FLAC.
Howdy- same error message "loading error" directly into the single USB port, without using the hub. MP3 files play fine, but I don't want to play symphonic music recorded in MP3!
Please see my FreeFLAC twitter posts (I am not a twitter person, but trying to pull whatever stops to get attention to this problem!!) Thanks-

Upvote 0

Best of luck Sedona.
Isn't that something?? Rocket science and playing FLAC files via Tesla USB!!
Just reading about Functional Programming, touted as an approach to avoid "spagetti code" software, where a minor software change can have all sorts of unintended screw-ups on existing code. If FLAC files used to play just fine in the past but don't now-- Help!

Upvote 0