Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 model S only has one vacant USB port in the center compartment. I put some of my own recorded music on the USB drive but it was erased by the dash cam. Can I have a drive for music and the dashcam at the same time?

Peter

My 2020 model S only has one vacant USB port in the center compartment. I put some of my own recorded music on the USB drive but it was erased by the dash cam. Can I have a drive for music and the dashcam at the same time?

Peter
You can format the USB stick to have multiple partitions so music is kept separate from dash cam on a single device. search the forums for detailed instructions if you need more help.

Upvote 0
I have a 256GB MicroSD USB for dashcam, and a 32GB MicroSD USB for music. I have 2 USB jacks for charrging and power in a flush mount USB power adapter. Note that there are warnings not to format the Dashcam with anything else in the two front USB ports of our 2020 MS, because everything will be erased.

Upvote 0
No, The usb port only supports the USB drive used for sentry mode, You can use your phone to stream music to the car.
On pre 2021+, the front two usb ports are both data capable. You can use one for your music drive, and the other for DashCam/Sentry. You can even partition one drive to do both, but I wouldn't recommend it. I have 2 USB drives set up like this. Only issue for any other USB drives beside Dashcam/Sentry, be sure to remove the other drive before doing a format, or you might lose info.

Upvote 0