Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Model 3 was just updated to now offer 614 Kilometers on one charge - Fortune article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's irrational to wait in hopes there will be a feature freeze. Waiting will always yield an improved model. You can wait until they discontinue the M3 to ensure you don't miss out on future features is the most extreme way to think about it.

I prefer to think of it as: the quicker I buy, the earlier I will get to replace it with a newer model when I am ready to upgrade.

That being said this current range "increase" is not significant enough IMO to wait for it (unlike the previous one when it went from 310 to 353).

It's irrational to wait in hopes there will be a feature freeze. Waiting will always yield an improved model. You can wait until they discontinue the M3 to ensure you don't miss out on future features is the most extreme way to think about it.

I prefer to think of it as: the quicker I buy, the earlier I will get to replace it with a newer model when I am ready to upgrade.

That being said this current range "increase" is not significant enough IMO to wait for it (unlike the previous one when it went from 310 to 353).
I understand your rationale. How does Tesla treat these kind of upgrades for existing unfulfilled orders? If I place an order and they announce the new battery before my delivery, would I get the updated car? I assume there is no clear answer to this. I guess it really depends on when the production line switches to the new battery.

I understand your rationale. How does Tesla treat these kind of upgrades for existing unfulfilled orders? If I place an order and they announce the new battery before my delivery, would I get the updated car? I assume there is no clear answer to this. I guess it really depends on when the production line switches to the new battery.
Correct. I believe there are transitionnal models as well based on remaining available parts. Like when they changed the 980 for 990 rear motor.

I took delivery March 21 and thought I had the 82 kWh battery until I found this thread and discovered it's still the 77. I don't really care. I was happy when I thought I got the Panasonic 82 but I was also a little nervous that the existing LG battery seems well proven/good and what if the Panasonic packs end up being less reliable in the long run. I doubt it but I'm OK with an LG pack that has a proven track record too.

Mike

I took delivery March 21 and thought I had the 82 kWh battery until I found this thread and discovered it's still the 77. I don't really care. I was happy when I thought I got the Panasonic 82 but I was also a little nervous that the existing LG battery seems well proven/good and what if the Panasonic packs end up being less reliable in the long run. I doubt it but I'm OK with an LG pack that has a proven track record too.

Mike
I think your battery is Panasonic not LG. LG batteries were only used in Shanghai factory for European deliveries (and for a limited time) as far as I understand.

Reactions: MikeyC
They don't announce many of these changes, which in that case no guarantee. However, if it means a change in EPA range, when they announce the change on their website, usually any car coming out of the factory afterwards would reflect the change. Note it's possible however, for cars to be in transit to not have that change, so even if your delivery date is afterwards, that doesn't necessarily mean you would get it the new version. The factory date is more important here.

They don't announce many of these changes, which in that case no guarantee. However, if it means a change in EPA range, when they announce the change on their website, usually any car coming out of the factory afterwards would reflect the change. Note it's possible however, for cars to be in transit to not have that change, so even if your delivery date is afterwards, that doesn't necessarily mean you would get it the new version. The factory date is more important here.
I just rolled the dice and ordered. The range difference will be negligible. I was worried about getting the lower capacity LG battery but apparently that was never used in US made cars.