Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used low mileage 2020 model S long range plus vs new 2022 model 3 performance. Which one would you upgrade to from model 3 SR+ and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

if you have some extra cash to spend like around 40K to upgrade to a AWD Tesla sedan from a RWD model 3, would you trade in a RWD 2020 model 3 SR+ for a new 2022 model 3 performance model or a very low mileage 2020 model long range plus model? Basically it is used low mileage 2020 model S long range plus vs new 2022 model 3 performance. Which one would you upgrade to from model 3 SR+ and why? Would love to hear other people thoughts as I am going thur this dilemma right now.

Drive both and see which one you like better. Despite both being Teslas with a lot of power, they feel quite different behind the wheel! Friend of mine has a P100D that I've driven extensively, and I've test driven the M3P, and I own a SR+ 2021.

This isn't a very extensive list of differences, but off my head, these are what stick out to me, you and everyone else might feel differently about it.

Model S Pros:
Quieter than even the 2021-22 Model 3 with dual pane glass
Rides much softer and comfortable
Slightly roomier
Hatchback
Instrument cluster if you like having it
I personally like the look of it better than the 3

Model 3 Performance Pros:
Track mode for some is a must have feature
Feels a lot more nimble, initial turn in response is quite a lot sharper than the S
Easier to park if size matters

It's totally up to you which car you like better in terms of looks, utility, and driving dynamics. There's no wrong choice, just preference. Personally I'd pick a M3P and put high quality coil overs that improve the ride and stability in the corners, but that's because I love a quick turn in, and for me, track mode would get used very often because I love to tweak and I love performance. For everyday cruising, I find the S more comfortable, and if it's my only car, having the hatch would come in handy.

Both cars are super fast, to be honest I find the performance aspect of them a little hard to exploit on Canadian public roads, which are frequently policed, mostly wide open and straight with low speed limits. AWD Teslas are excellent on snow however, so upgrading from a SR would make sense in that aspect.

The used Model S is a better, more luxurious, and more exclusive automobile. If the price is comparable to a new Model 3P (within $10K or so) and there is nothing seriously wrong with the S then it's the deal of a lifetime.
actually the used 2020 model S long range plus is exactly 10K more than brand new model 3 performance. The mileage is only 11 000 miles. I guess I will go the dealership to look and check out.

Reactions: BitJam
When I purchased my car back in 2018, I could have ordered and received an S for the same price. It never even occurred to me to do that. I’ve never been into big cars, and the S, while it’s outside dimensions are demonstrably larger, has an interior size and layout that isn’t appreciably so. For me the Performance 3 was a no brainer for the same money.

Reactions: coolmanfever
I went from a 2013 S to a 2020 3SR+ with FSD and 100k less miles plus I saved about $1000. That switch was worth it. I gained more than I gave up. Much bigger difference going from a 2013 to a 2020 than the difference between a 2020 and a 2022.

However, given your choice, it wouldn’t even be a hint of a question for me, I’d grab the S in a heartbeat! Much more comfortable, much more room, more cargo area, 2 screens, better warranty, and I miss the hatchback. The S is far superior to the 3.

Reactions: BitJam
I'm not a fan of the vertical screen and the rear seat room in the Model S isn't much better than the Model 3. The hatch is really nice though. I'd definitely do it for the refresh version but the dynamics of the Model 3 Performance are FAR better. If you like to canyon carve or track the car, its not even a comparison.