Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road trip with Y or ICE????

12+ Hour Road trip with 4 people. Which vehicle to take?

• Tesla Model Y

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've put my money where my mouth is by buying a Tesla, but people saying things like "no compromises" and charging is "not an inconvenience" are off the reservation and objectively wrong. It IS a compromise. It is NOT more convenient to stop every 3 hours for 30-40 minutes than it is to stop every 4 hours for 10 minutes of gasoline and potties.
That doesn't mean that the Tesla is a bad idea for a road trip, but let's be real here and stop with the blind fanboy/fangirl stuff...
Wow!! Here's a fact for you and any others who think they're superman and can drive for 4 hours or more without a stop:
Preventing Deep Vein Thrombosis From Travel | CS Mott Children's Hospital | Michigan Medicine
Summary of the article. Doctors recommend stopping hourly on long trips to get your blood circulating to avoid blood clots.
A long trip without stops can lead to weeks of danger from blood clots, even for healthy people.
It's not about being a fanboy/girl ... It's about common sense and good health. While I don't stop every hour, I stop at least
every two hours on long trips.
When I had a VW Turbo Diesel and took the same trips that I've taken in my Tesla, I would make as many stops just to
get out and stretch, use the facilities and yes, to either get a snack or a meal. In the Tesla, unlike at the diesel pump, I could
plug in and walk away and by the time I finished my break, the car was ready to continue to journey. So call it an
inconvenience if you like, but gas/diesel/EV; you should NOT be driving for hours without pit stops.

Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

Trying to decide on Y or use our ICE Q7.....

It’s a performance Y so a little rougher ride... i think we should have enough room for everyone and stuff between trunk and drunk...

My concern is the ride roughness and older kids 16 & 19 sitting in the rear seats for such a long trip...

Pros are should be a cool ride... Autopilot/FSD and the experience....
We have a charge outlet at the house in NC so no problem keeping it charged there...

Thoughts???

My wife has a Q7 TDI but we are a party of 5. For any extensive trip it would be a hard sell to convince the 3 in the passenger seat (7, 14 & 16) to take the S instead of the Q7. But I can totally understand the convenience of Autopilot, it really does help with maintaining driving focus.

It appears you may be taking @Snerruc comments too literally. He appears to be basing his comments on his personal
experience on his 780 miles trips from Florida to Richmond, VA. Based on Tesla's own recommendations,
increased speeds do indeed increase energy consumption. That is why, when your battery state-of-charge starts
to get too low and you're still miles from a charger, Tesla tells you to slow down and indeed actually takes measure
to make sure you slow down to REDUCE consumption and increase range. What he said:
Quote: the faster you go the more energy you use and it rises exponentially. End quote. Is reflected in numerous
comments on many Tesla forums.
In my 2015 Model S 70D I can increase my miles per kWh just by driving at a steady 55 mph. If I step it up to
70 the kWh the miles per kWh take a big hit and at 80 an even bigger hit. That's the anecdotal experience I've
seen on many of these forums concerning how speed impacts energy usage.
Not sure why you chose to argue @Snerruc point.

Because he's arguing that there's a consistent sweet spot, and there isn't. There can be one for a given leg length, but there isn't a universal one.

And yes, going faster certainly eats more energy. But it gets you there faster, and you usually average a faster charging rate than the driving speed, so it's still an overall shorter time even though you need more energy and more charging time.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Wow!! Here's a fact for you and any others who think they're superman and can drive for 4 hours or more without a stop:
Preventing Deep Vein Thrombosis From Travel | CS Mott Children's Hospital | Michigan Medicine
Summary of the article. Doctors recommend stopping hourly on long trips to get your blood circulating to avoid blood clots.
A long trip without stops can lead to weeks of danger from blood clots, even for healthy people.
It's not about being a fanboy/girl ... It's about common sense and good health. While I don't stop every hour, I stop at least
every two hours on long trips.
When I had a VW Turbo Diesel and took the same trips that I've taken in my Tesla, I would make as many stops just to
get out and stretch, use the facilities and yes, to either get a snack or a meal. In the Tesla, unlike at the diesel pump, I could
plug in and walk away and by the time I finished my break, the car was ready to continue to journey. So call it an
inconvenience if you like, but gas/diesel/EV; you should NOT be driving for hours without pit stops.

I fly 100k miles per year for work...to Asia, to Europe...I know all about DVT and appreciate a good pit stop just as much as anyone else. Again, the issue here seems to be confusing convenience/compromise with preferability.

I'm not at all saying for many people it's not better to stop every 3 hours for 30 minutes. But it IS a compromise to be forced to do so more often than an ICE would force you to stop.

By buying a Tesla MY, I have given up on the idea that I can get to a destination 350 miles away in 5 hours. It's simply not possible. That's a compromise. No amount of rationalization or enjoyment of stops changes that fact. It's a compromise. But I, just like presumably everyone else on this board, judged that it was worth it.

Anyway, it's all semantics at this point. I know that if I was a kid sitting in the back of a car, and my parents told me we could get to where we're going in 3 hours less if we took a different car, I'd be pretty ticked off if we took the longer option. But that's just me. And also as a kid, I wouldn't get a vote so I could just stew without power (or these days, stew with my ipad and headphones and in-car LTE connection...a lot different than playing "I spy")

Reactions: slmitchell737
We did our first long trip in our model 3 a couple of months ago. My wife thought we should take her Mercedes GL 450. We have two young kids and she thought it would be a lot easier with the three rows. Anyway we took the 3 and when we got to our destination her first words were how enjoyable the trip was. We had never super charged before, and thought the inconvenience was going to be a big commitment but it turned out super charging was awesome. We got a nice little break, got Starbucks and basically took a little mental break from the trip.

The only thing that caused me a slight concern was no spare tire. Since then a bought a tire repair kit.

I want to say take the Tesla. I definitely would take my model 3. But the performance has 21 inch wheels. That is not a good idea on any long trip vehicle. A small pot hole at 70 mph will destroy a 21” rim but not damage a 19” rim with a taller side wall.

other than that the question for me is. Are you driving that in one shot or are you stopping overnight somewhere. If your going to stop overnight then take the Tesla.

Tesla performance wheel damage.

Reactions: mazers
This router works great. Thank you so much for the link to the setting information.
This router allows also using an USB 4G modem, when WiFi is not available.

I was not able to connect my Tesla to Xfinity Hotspots because the authentication mechanism is not supported by Tesla.
The Clone MAC address trick for the router allows me now to connect the Tesla browser to any Xfinity Hotspots.
I can also access my Dashcam remotely from the cloud.
Live in high rise far away from my personal router. Tried this out and was successful! Thanks for the tip!