Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first long full day road trip experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first "cross country", longer, full day, road trip experience

I just took my longest road trip for me. From Florida to North Carolina and return.

I want to summarize my experience.

I love the car overall and would not want to do that trip in an ICE car. Here's a summary of my experience.

It's a 10 hour trip using google maps, but with the stops I took it was closer to 11+ hours.
About 650 miles one way.

It's a much more difficult trip alone, even in such a good car. Not having someone to talk to really made the drive much more difficult.

Stops and charging approach:
I find if I stop every hour and a half maximum, I'm good for a long trip and it also accommodates charging. I don't get too tired, groggy, bored, sore if I stop for a 10 minute charge more often than I could do otherwise by using more battery range. Also I'm not yet comfortable running the charge down to 10% or less. I never liked to let my gas tank go to the last drop in ICE cars either. So I just stop more often than the trip planner might wish for me. This makes a long drive easier and the electric car does well with this approach. Just add another 10 to fifteen minutes for every 1.5 hours of driving. I found it really important to get out of the car, walk about and stretch some. And with stopping more often, charging is significantly higher rates and shorter times as I'm not filling it up quite as much as I might stretching stops out further. This makes stopping feel like a convenience for me and not a necessity for the car.

AutoPilot, Lane Keeping, Following Automation:
Very few Phantom Braking Events on this trip. But I did have about three. I'm so used to them now and these were not particularly violent like they used to be.
AutoPilot is very useful and works quite well most of the time. I find a lot of relaxation if I “draft” a large truck some of the time. Even at the closest following selection of 2, it's not that close. I can relax and get a kind of a break from driving. On the other hand after many hours of using autopilot I got bored and sleepy. I listened to books on audible and music. All those functions working quite well. Occasionally I had to reconnect Bluetooth to my phone when restarting a trip segment, I don't know why. It was also a little too lax for me in staying at the distance behind the truck I wanted. Sometimes it would allow that distance to grow quite large. It also doesn't recover speed quickly enough. It's worse in slower speed zones but it's true in following on highways as well.

I'm not sure that I really want or need FSD.
I can't see the benefits. I'll have to try it one day when I know that from the day I rent it, it will be available for use. I've read too many horror stories of owners paying for FSD but were not given the right to use it. I don't want to waste money on it. The autopilot did such a good job for me. I don't need it to do more. However there are dangers, real dangers. After ten hours on the road, you get a little tired. You get used to autopilot doing a lot of the work. You have to stay alert. Autopilot slowed down for lights quite a few times. I don't know why and I didn't know it would do that. It can falsely lead you to believe it will stop, but it will not stop at red lights even if it slows way down for them. Just got to watch over it and the several modes where it can get a little confusing. I already know Autopilot really well. And know that sometimes in right curves it can drift dangerously left. So I take over steering in those cases. I've seen my car cross the yellow line in certain conditions. I've had it serviced and Tesla says it's “normal”.

Conditions and state of operations of both highway and superchargers:
The Tesla Superchargers were all operational, which is wonderful, and an ample number of SC stop choices all along my route. However many of them were filthy and unkempt along I 95. They were often at “strange” locations and at run down or deserted stops form days gone past. I 95 is very old school and does not have on highway refueling. The rest areas on that highway are only for bathroom breaks and not fuel. The state of the superchargers appearance was disappointing. It sometimes looked as though nobody ever checked on them visually. They were all quite filthy. And some had erosion problems, etc. But that went along with the entire “charm” of the unkempt and poorly maintained US Interstate highway. I haven't traveled along I 95 in many years, it was deplorable, especially through Georgia and South Carolina. The road was only two lanes, not enough. The road had miles and miles of patches, was bouncy and very noisy worn out aging asphalt. I thought our federal tax dollars were going towards maintaining the infrastructure. I was embarrassed should visitors drive that major highway. The same for many of the stops where the Tesla Superchargers were located. Dirty, messy, and old school locations. Some of the businesses where Tesla SC were located seem to be going out of business and many had. Many abandoned buildings etc. Sometimes there were no bathrooms nearby. Some of the locations were very difficult to find, in the middle of lots, and odd places, the map sometimes didn't easily bring me to it but left me in a lot with no chargers. But there were many, many charging positions at every supercharger center and I never had any concerns about finding an open slot for my car. In fact, sometimes there were 20 plus open charging spaces. Huge numbers of chargers. Seemed like overkill. Possibly there are peak charging times at holidays or something they were planned for?

The charging rate was more variable than I expected.
I would start really fast, close to 150 KWH, at some places. But very quickly begin to drop charging rates. As soon as I got near half full it was already significantly dropping and would continue dropping to in the forties. I try to run my battery 20-85 %. But I found supercharging anything above 65% was getting too slow, so I generally drove off.

It was a lot different at places like the Buc-ee's stations. All clean and brand new, all shiny and kept. I don't care much for their food, all loaded with additives, sweeteners, etc. But I'll take it for the convenience, cleanliness, ease of access, etc. Really nice setups. But Georgia and South Carolina have no Buc-ee's.

Comfort:
I've already rebuilt my Tesla seats. So I am riding in comfort now. A full day like that is not a problem. In the stock OEM seats I would have been in great pain.

Noise:
The car's noise level is too high overall. It's annoying and tiring. I've been working hard at reducing the window noises right near my ears but there's noise everywhere. Road noise and wind noise. After this long trip experience, I'm now planning to put a lot of work into cutting that down more. I've read that the Model Y can be an echo chamber. My little Model 3 can get fairly noisy as well. It was much worse with certain road conditions. Certain asphalt is very noisy against my OEM tires. I assume that asphalt is older and rougher. I have a Performance and it might be more noisy that other models. The road conditions were rough and at times the car was bouncy. The Performance is low to the ground and doesn't do enough to smooth out the roads. Thank goodness I have great seats with lots of suspension in the seats with my custom built seats.

Efficiency was quite good.
Even driving in the mid 70 MPH range, I was never averaging over 295 KWH. I think that's good. I did make certain my tires had proper air before starting the trip.

The Model 3 is normally plenty big.
But depending upon approach can get a little tight.
I brought a spare tire, an inflatable rolled up sleeping mattress, a large suitcase, a backpack, food, and lots of drinks. It was plenty of room for me and my abuse of the room. But the car would be quite tight if we had more than two people in the car. This is only true for such a long trip and because I was “prepared” like a Boy Scout. If you don't bring a spare tire, and I cannot when bringing family on trips, it's got enough room.

I expect these cars to continue to get better and better every year and even every month. With improvements in batteries and better sound reduction and better suspension already coming out, these are really really great cars, only getting better. I wish I had the money, I'd upgrade to a newer model annually. But I'm lucky to have a Tesla and quite thankful.

34604407754_64c3b94130 (2).jpg

"Prime specifiche ufficiali della berlina elettrica di massa Tesla Model 3" by automobileitalia is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Comfort:
I've already rebuilt my Tesla seats. So I am riding in comfort now. A full day like that is not a problem. In the stock OEM seats I would have been in great pain.
Nice story! I end up taking breaks at both Supercharger and also rest stops because it got exhausting on some long drives, especially when you can go two hours to the next charger. Can you explain what the seat rebuilding involves? Something I might be interested in, too.

The seat rebuilding took me almost a year of hard labor and many purchases and untold numbers of installations and riding tests. I bought many seats and seat frames to sort things out. I built and tried many, many approaches over many many months. Finally I have a build that is wonderful for me and many with similar challenges. I have built them for others who are unable or unwilling to take on the tasks I share.

I'll try to outline here what where when and why.

Tesla started using the same metal seat frames (that attach to the floor) in all models sometime around 2017. I bought the frame. It's quite narrow and has very little spring in the metal “springs”. The springs are very stiff and don't cover the entire seat bottom. The metal seat base is designed so that you sit down kind of deeply into the metal frame. Your hip bones and thigh bones will be “inside” a metal surrounding of the top of the metal frame. The bolsters/ wings that you see and feel are the soft foam, sitting over the metal surrounding. The foam is so thin and soft where your hips and thighs might press, that it can really, really hurt. This is why many complain about the wings/ bolsters.

Tesla started also the same foam density. It's a very soft, “topper” type of foam, not dense. And it's rather thin.

Problems are almost always people with larger framed body type. Wider hip bones, more spread out thigh bones, heavier builds. Sometimes also making maters worse are those with taller upper torso. This is a generality. But the rear center of the Tesla seat is only about 11” wide max but actually less when sitting in it, etc.. If you have a wider hip set than most, you'll press into the metal. You'll think it's the bolsters/ wings, but it's actually the metal seat base.

Additional issues can be caused by the upper / back part of the seat for larger folks. If you have a higher hip set, the top of your hip bones might rest into the Tesla lumbar support, which never fully deflates. This might push your hips into the wrong angle for good lower back support. Inflating the lumbar can be the antithesis of what's supposed to be lumbar support.

Larger folks with larger bones often have larger head bones as well. The seat headrest often pushes the head forward and tips it downwards. All these things combine to put the spine in the worst possible curvature, a setup for disc damage, painful drives, pain on the sides of the hips and legs, inadequate suspension over bumps, etc.

The mid and upper section of the back can feel too concave for a person with a larger and wider upper torso.

For the heavier person and sometimes I mean as light as 195 lbs can be too much for the foam and so called springs in the seat design. This results in a very tiny amount of suspension. That can mean painful and over the long term, damaging, jolts to the spinal column.

There are many possible improvements that can be made if any of the above challenges present to you.

A few people felt improvements by slightly raising the seat bottom by adding a shim between the metal seat base springs and the bottom of the OEM foam seat bottom.
This was inadequate for me and my body build but there's a fair amount of interest in that approach because you don't have to rebuild the seat. I tried it and couldn't live with it.

What I do is as follows:
1. I remove the seat cushion base from the car.
2. I remove the Tesla Foam from the faux leather cover. I retain the faux leather cover and the seat sensor that was glued to the foam.
3. I custom build another more dense foam.
4. I swap the foam. I reuse the faux leather cover, with the seat heater.
5. I move the seat sensor from the OEM foam to the custom foam.
6. I came up with a custom way of securing the OEM faux cover to the custom foam.
7. I added dense foam blocks to the bottom for additional suspension. This is optional.
8. I bend the headrest backwards.
9. I remove the OEM lumbar support, leaving it connected but out of the way.
10. I insert a foam block higher up for true lumbar support in the right area.
11. I add a vertical foam block in the upper part of the seat to make it “flatter” and feel “wider.

I sincerely hope this helps you,
George Borrelli

Thank you for the helpful write-up! Dang, that is a lot of work! I just have an issue with feeling hunched and slouched when sitting because can't sit comfortably back because of that headrest, haven't figured out a way to fix that.

Glad the autopilot came in handy for you. I still do not trust it near curves (takes them at too high speed), and I also take over once it nears a small town where the speed limit drops a lot.

Thank you for the helpful write-up! Dang, that is a lot of work! I just have an issue with feeling hunched and slouched when sitting because can't sit comfortably back because of that headrest, haven't figured out a way to fix that.

Glad the autopilot came in handy for you. I still do not trust it near curves (takes them at too high speed), and I also take over once it nears a small town where the speed limit drops a lot.
Try rotating the headrest so it faces backwards. That will give you a good measure of what moving the headrest back will do for you. There's many good videos and some videos on my own channel on how to do that. Then you can decide if you want to bend it. It's not really that difficult but bending requires a jig or something to hold the headrest still and a pipe extension to get enough leverage. I've bent a few headrests back because of the issue you described.

Reactions: TimTam

I just took my longest road trip for me. From Florida to North Carolina and return.

I love the car overall and would not want to do that trip in an ICE car. Here's a summary of my experience.

It's a 10 hour trip using google maps, but with the stops I took it was closer to 11+ hours.
About 650 miles one way.

It's a much more difficult trip alone, even in such a good car. Not having someone to talk to really made the drive much more difficult.

I find if I stop every hour and a half maximum, I'm good for a long trip and it also accommodates charging. I don't get too tired, groggy, bored, sore if I stop for a 10 minute charge more often than I could do otherwise by using more battery range. Also I'm not yet comfortable running the charge down to 10% or less. I never liked to let my gas tank go to the last drop in ICE cars either. So I just stop more often than the trip planner might wish for me. This makes a long drive easier and the electric car does well with this approach. Just add another 10 to fifteen minutes for every 1.5 hours of driving. I found it really important to get out of the car, walk about and stretch some. And with stopping more often, charging is significantly higher rates and shorter times as I'm not filling it up quite as much as I might stretching stops out further. This makes stopping feel like a convenience for me and not a necessity for the car.

Very few Phantom Braking Events on this trip. But I did have about three. I'm so used to them now and these were not particularly violent like they used to be.
AutoPilot is very useful and works quite well most of the time. I find a lot of relaxation if I “draft” a large truck some of the time. Even at the closest following selection of 2, it's not that close. I can relax and get a kind of a break from driving. On the other hand after many hours of using autopilot I got bored and sleepy. I listened to books on audible and music. All those functions working quite well. Occasionally I had to reconnect Bluetooth to my phone when restarting a trip segment, I don't know why. It was also a little too lax for me in staying at the distance behind the truck I wanted. Sometimes it would allow that distance to grow quite large. It also doesn't recover speed quickly enough. It's worse in slower speed zones but it's true in following on highways as well.

I can't see the benefits. I'll have to try it one day when I know that from the day I rent it, it will be available for use. I've read too many horror stories of owners paying for FSD but were not given the right to use it. I don't want to waste money on it. The autopilot did such a good job for me. I don't need it to do more. However there are dangers, real dangers. After ten hours on the road, you get a little tired. You get used to autopilot doing a lot of the work. You have to stay alert. Autopilot slowed down for lights quite a few times. I don't know why and I didn't know it would do that. It can falsely lead you to believe it will stop, but it will not stop at red lights even if it slows way down for them. Just got to watch over it and the several modes where it can get a little confusing. I already know Autopilot really well. And know that sometimes in right curves it can drift dangerously left. So I take over steering in those cases. I've seen my car cross the yellow line in certain conditions. I've had it serviced and Tesla says it's “normal”.

The Tesla Superchargers were all operational, which is wonderful, and an ample number of SC stop choices all along my route. However many of them were filthy and unkempt along I 95. They were often at “strange” locations and at run down or deserted stops form days gone past. I 95 is very old school and does not have on highway refueling. The rest areas on that highway are only for bathroom breaks and not fuel. The state of the superchargers appearance was disappointing. It sometimes looked as though nobody ever checked on them visually. They were all quite filthy. And some had erosion problems, etc. But that went along with the entire “charm” of the unkempt and poorly maintained US Interstate highway. I haven't traveled along I 95 in many years, it was deplorable, especially through Georgia and South Carolina. The road was only two lanes, not enough. The road had miles and miles of patches, was bouncy and very noisy worn out aging asphalt. I thought our federal tax dollars were going towards maintaining the infrastructure. I was embarrassed should visitors drive that major highway. The same for many of the stops where the Tesla Superchargers were located. Dirty, messy, and old school locations. Some of the businesses where Tesla SC were located seem to be going out of business and many had. Many abandoned buildings etc. Sometimes there were no bathrooms nearby. Some of the locations were very difficult to find, in the middle of lots, and odd places, the map sometimes didn't easily bring me to it but left me in a lot with no chargers. But there were many, many charging positions at every supercharger center and I never had any concerns about finding an open slot for my car. In fact, sometimes there were 20 plus open charging spaces. Huge numbers of chargers. Seemed like overkill. Possibly there are peak charging times at holidays or something they were planned for?

I would start really fast, close to 150 KWH, at some places. But very quickly begin to drop charging rates. As soon as I got near half full it was already significantly dropping and would continue dropping to in the forties. I try to run my battery 20-85 %. But I found supercharging anything above 65% was getting too slow, so I generally drove off.

It was a lot different at places like the Buc-ee's stations. All clean and brand new, all shiny and kept. I don't care much for their food, all loaded with additives, sweeteners, etc. But I'll take it for the convenience, cleanliness, ease of access, etc. Really nice setups. But Georgia and South Carolina have no Buc-ee's.

Comfort:

Noise:
The car's noise level is too high overall. It's annoying and tiring. I've been working hard at reducing the window noises right near my ears but there's noise everywhere. Road noise and wind noise. After this long trip experience, I'm now planning to put a lot of work into cutting that down more. I've read that the Model Y can be an echo chamber. My little Model 3 can get fairly noisy as well. It was much worse with certain road conditions. Certain asphalt is very noisy against my OEM tires. I assume that asphalt is older and rougher. I have a Performance and it might be more noisy that other models. The road conditions were rough and at times the car was bouncy. The Performance is low to the ground and doesn't do enough to smooth out the roads. Thank goodness I have great seats with lots of suspension in the seats with my custom built seats.

Even driving in the mid 70 MPH range, I was never averaging over 295 KWH. I think that's good. I did make certain my tires had proper air before starting the trip.

I brought a spare tire, an inflatable rolled up sleeping mattress, a large suitcase, a backpack, food, and lots of drinks. It was plenty of room for me and my abuse of the room. But the car would be quite tight if we had more than two people in the car. This is only true for such a long trip and because I was “prepared” like a Boy Scout. If you don't bring a spare tire, and I cannot when bringing family on trips, it's got enough room.

I expect these cars to continue to get better and better every year and even every month. With improvements in batteries and better sound reduction and better suspension already coming out, these are really really great cars, only getting better. I wish I had the money, I'd upgrade to a newer model annually. But I'm lucky to have a Tesla and quite thankful.

View attachment 984436
"Prime specifiche ufficiali della berlina elettrica di massa Tesla Model 3" by automobileitalia is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
The seat rebuilding took me almost a year of hard labor and many purchases and untold numbers of installations and riding tests. I bought many seats and seat frames to sort things out. I built and tried many, many approaches over many many months. Finally I have a build that is wonderful for me and many with similar challenges. I have built them for others who are unable or unwilling to take on the tasks I share.

I'll try to outline here what where when and why.

Tesla started using the same metal seat frames (that attach to the floor) in all models sometime around 2017. I bought the frame. It's quite narrow and has very little spring in the metal “springs”. The springs are very stiff and don't cover the entire seat bottom. The metal seat base is designed so that you sit down kind of deeply into the metal frame. Your hip bones and thigh bones will be “inside” a metal surrounding of the top of the metal frame. The bolsters/ wings that you see and feel are the soft foam, sitting over the metal surrounding. The foam is so thin and soft where your hips and thighs might press, that it can really, really hurt. This is why many complain about the wings/ bolsters.

Tesla started also the same foam density. It's a very soft, “topper” type of foam, not dense. And it's rather thin.

Problems are almost always people with larger framed body type. Wider hip bones, more spread out thigh bones, heavier builds. Sometimes also making maters worse are those with taller upper torso. This is a generality. But the rear center of the Tesla seat is only about 11” wide max but actually less when sitting in it, etc.. If you have a wider hip set than most, you'll press into the metal. You'll think it's the bolsters/ wings, but it's actually the metal seat base.

Additional issues can be caused by the upper / back part of the seat for larger folks. If you have a higher hip set, the top of your hip bones might rest into the Tesla lumbar support, which never fully deflates. This might push your hips into the wrong angle for good lower back support. Inflating the lumbar can be the antithesis of what's supposed to be lumbar support.

Larger folks with larger bones often have larger head bones as well. The seat headrest often pushes the head forward and tips it downwards. All these things combine to put the spine in the worst possible curvature, a setup for disc damage, painful drives, pain on the sides of the hips and legs, inadequate suspension over bumps, etc.

The mid and upper section of the back can feel too concave for a person with a larger and wider upper torso.

For the heavier person and sometimes I mean as light as 195 lbs can be too much for the foam and so called springs in the seat design. This results in a very tiny amount of suspension. That can mean painful and over the long term, damaging, jolts to the spinal column.

There are many possible improvements that can be made if any of the above challenges present to you.

A few people felt improvements by slightly raising the seat bottom by adding a shim between the metal seat base springs and the bottom of the OEM foam seat bottom.
This was inadequate for me and my body build but there's a fair amount of interest in that approach because you don't have to rebuild the seat. I tried it and couldn't live with it.

What I do is as follows:
1. I remove the seat cushion base from the car.
2. I remove the Tesla Foam from the faux leather cover. I retain the faux leather cover and the seat sensor that was glued to the foam.
3. I custom build another more dense foam.
4. I swap the foam. I reuse the faux leather cover, with the seat heater.
5. I move the seat sensor from the OEM foam to the custom foam.
6. I came up with a custom way of securing the OEM faux cover to the custom foam.
7. I added dense foam blocks to the bottom for additional suspension. This is optional.
8. I bend the headrest backwards.
9. I remove the OEM lumbar support, leaving it connected but out of the way.
10. I insert a foam block higher up for true lumbar support in the right area.
11. I add a vertical foam block in the upper part of the seat to make it “flatter” and feel “wider.

I sincerely hope this helps you,
George Borrelli
This is great information, thank you! My test drives felt good, but once I take delivery this could be an issue for me and this could really help.

Thanks again!
Richard

About 650 miles one way.

Comfort:

Noise:

View attachment 984436
Awesome "report" George. Incredibly helpful for a newbie awaiting his 1st Tesla.
KUDOS,
Richard

Reactions: Georgesb2
This is an interesting comment. I frequently drive long distances for work by myself and I have never felt I needed someone in the car to talk to or talk to me. I drove 400 miles yesterday and most of it was in silence. If I get bored I will queue up a podcast or listen to a playlist on Pandora. Not having someone talking incessantly in my ear is actually a benefit of driving alone for long periods of time.

This is an interesting comment. I frequently drive long distances for work by myself and I have never felt I needed someone in the car to talk to or talk to me. I drove 400 miles yesterday and most of it was in silence. If I get bored I will queue up a podcast or listen to a playlist on Pandora. Not having someone talking incessantly in my ear is actually a benefit of driving alone for long periods of time.
I guess to each his own. In fact I have been on both sides of the spectrum, days when I would have loved to have company on the drive and days when nothing suits me better than the car and open road

I've been working hard at reducing the window noises right near my ears
I have a 2019 M3P and the wind noise at the top of the drivers window is really annoying. I've tried blocking up various gaps, put the elastic band around the glass roof, had Tesla replace the door seal and adjust the window - all to no avail. Good luck resolving the issue, I never could. I'll be handing the car back soon (lease car), and I'm afraid that the overall noise levels have steered me towards the BYD Seal as a replacement.

I have a 2019 M3P and the wind noise at the top of the drivers window is really annoying. I've tried blocking up various gaps, put the elastic band around the glass roof, had Tesla replace the door seal and adjust the window - all to no avail. Good luck resolving the issue, I never could. I'll be handing the car back soon (lease car), and I'm afraid that the overall noise levels have steered me towards the BYD Seal as a replacement.
Yes, the wind noise around the top of the driver's window is annoying and difficult to reduce.
I've made an entire series of YouTube videos on that subject. I've made really good progress.
Two significant challenges: Half doors and curved windows against a flat body/rubber seal.
I wonder if the BYD has a full door that the window can seat into instead of these half windows, like old convertibles had.
Turns out all the Tesla Model 3 (and likely the others) have window noise issues. We just notice it near the closest ear the most. Now that I've decreased the noise level near my left ear, I hear the bothersome wind noise in the back seat behind me as well as the others.

I wonder if the BYD has a full door that the window can seat into instead of these half windows, like old convertibles had.
The Seal doesn't have pillarless windows, it has the traditional framed doors. All the reviews have it as being a very quiet car. The UK prices have just been announced and they are very good (surprisingly). The AWD (3.8 seconds to 62mph) is £48,695. That compares to the Model 3 LR at £49,990.

Two significant challenges: Half doors and curved windows against a flat body/rubber seal.
Jaguar had this design in the late 60's, and they nailed it back then - the XJC was whisper quiet (not sure their windows were curved though).

I seem to remember hearing that the made in China Model 3's are better sealed, but that may be my imagination. Apparently the highland version is 30% quieter overall. But that's 30% of too noisy in the first place.

Reactions: Georgesb2