Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-term shutdown of car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m in the UK and my car is in Canada. It’s probably going to be six months before I get back. Should I get my house sitter to do a full physical shutdown of the car, or leave it plugged in and set to 50%? Not worried about the power consumption, just want to know what’s best, in these somewhat unique circumstances.

I know the general advice is to leave them plugged in, but I think we’re into a different situation to “general”.

And no, it’s not an option to get the house sitter to take for a spin, before you suggest that (insurance, plus I’ve no idea what kind of a driver they are, even though I trust them entirely with my house).

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Plugged in is the norm even over an extended period of time, for several reasons. First, the main battery pack remains in a state of normalcy minimizing the effects of drain and other factors. Second, the auxiliary battery (aka 12V) will remain charged and be ready for use when the car is brought back to service. Lastly, you would be able to apply S/W updates and check status without worries.

I'd be more concerned about tire flat spotting. Seems like you have the Performance version with 20" wheels which would mean softer rubber. If the car is going to be sitting for long periods that can cause some downstream problems.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

You could invest in:

tire flat spot preventer - Google Search

To prevent tire flat spots.

Reactions: RobRain and Zoomit
I'd be more concerned about tire flat spotting. Seems like you have the Performance version with 20" wheels which would mean softer rubber. If the car is going to be sitting for long periods that can cause some downstream problems.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

You could invest in:

tire flat spot preventer - Google Search

To prevent tire flat spots.

Thanks, now you've added another worry :). Thanks for the information - they're definitely things I'll invest in when I get back so I really do appreciate it.

It's on 19" winter tyres (old habits die hard) right now and will remain on them for the foreseeable. If some flat spots to my tires are the only thing I suffer during this crisis then I'll take them. I'm already in the UK (have been for what was supposed to be a quick one month visit with my rather ill brother [he trumps all worries right now]) and won't be returning until a) I get my residency finalized; b) borders open around the world. Since a) is likely on hold until b), I think my t(y/i)res are going to be flat spotted, maybe even flat-flat.

Stay safe everyone, don't be a spring break beach idiot, or a Bondi Beach moron.