Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping my model 3 Long term.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Love to hear y'all are in it for the "long range" and we want to keep you on the road for years to come!
Check out XCare for an extended warranty. We even offer battery & drive unit coverage! We do not care about where you purchased your vehicle from, if you are still under factory warranty, or well past it. If you are able to select your vehicle specifics, and see term options, then your vehicle qualifies.
Get a quote or reach out for more info- XCare EV Protection

Happy Driving Tesla Fam!

-Team X Care

I am at the point of 65,000 km and 3.5 years of ownership with a Model 3 LR, similar to others on this thread. And those have been 3.5 years of pretty much flawless ownership. The only thing to go 'wrong' with the car itself was a suspension control rod thingy that started to squeak and which Tesla replaced very quickly and without charge. I did not like the orignal equipment Michelin tires, which wore too quickly, and did not great provide traction, so I replaced those with some Nokian One tires, which have been wonderful. The only other problem was a cracked windscreen from a rock thrown up by a semi in front of me on the highway, which Tesla also fixed very promptly and well (though not for free).

This has been my best ownership experience by far in 35 years plus of having an automobile. The car still drives like new, still has about 93% of its original range, and has no obvious weak points or warning signals for future problems. So yeah, I am going to keep it for a while. Maybe problems will develop, but until they do, I am hanging on to the car.

Nick has 75k miles. I decided it's not worth it to plan a strategy now for down the road. I'll just evaluate how I feel now and then and see what's available.

Summon and autopark won't ever factor into my decision. I've rarely used them.

The lack of proper warning tones with Teslavision is annoying.

Last night my daughter, backing our 3 month old model 3, from our garage just nailed the f out of this, while backing out and turning the wheel. Her excuse is the car didn't beep, although I warned her about this explicitly just a month ago. Getting an estimate today. I am sure it's several thousand in damage to the car. The damage to the wall I can fix in about 15 minutes with some fresh nails and caulk.

Warning would have been nice but i fully hold her responsible, as she's been backing cars out of this same spot for over two years :mad:

I have a 2018 RWD with 56K miles. I plan on keeping mine as long as possible because it's paid off and has features that newer cars don't. Anyway, I wanted to suggest that you recalibrate your battery if you haven't tried it already. I still get the original 310 miles, and in summer even more.
but isn't your model one that got the range bump up to 325miles at some point? Any other tips you have?

Reactions: nicksp
My plans for my 2018 M3LR are to keep it as long as it is reliable. It has about $53K miles and FSD. Putting less miles on it since my wife got a MYLR. The charge capacity is within 10% of new (one of the reasons why I got the LR).

I might consider a different EV in two to three years once the EV industry has made the switch over to NACS.

I'm keeping my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD for the long term. I started driving more about a year ago when I bought a house further away from work, and currently drive about 35k miles a year.

My car is 5.5 years old and has 133,247 miles. I also have FSD that I bought for $5k on early 2019, so I definitely don't want a newer Tesla where I have to pay $12k for the same functionality. If I hit a deer and total my Model 3, then I will probably get a Cybertruck.

Reactions: Hiline and gtgarner
I have a 2018 Tesla model three, all wheel drive for self driving, has been ceramic coated PPL from the start.

It is paid off, still looks and runs, great, and out of the 310 original range I still get 286 on a full charge.

88,000 miles no issues, and replace the back up battery one time about six months ago, that is my total maintenance. I’m only the second set of tires with are still great.

I would like to keep my Tesla for five additional years. I know the car hasn’t been out that long, but how many of you are keeping your Tesla model threes similar to me, and what’s the longest range you’ve gotten out of them without major maintenance?

From what I’ve read the only thing I may have maintenance is if part of the battery goes bad, which would run about $5000 per module.

Really would rather continue to invest that car payment.

Thanks in advance!

Great Idea.

I'm keeping my 2018 P3D until it dies - and then putting in a new battery when that happens.

I'm at 183k miles and investing every single dollar until I can't.

I'm pulling for you dude.

Great Idea.

I'm keeping my 2018 P3D until it dies - and then putting in a new battery when that happens.

I'm at 183k miles and investing every single dollar until I can't.

I'm pulling for you dude.

You guys should share your experience here! High mileage check-in

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with 93k miles. I bought it used at 58k miles. Only maintenance needed so far was tire replacement. I plan to keep the car for as long as the battery lasts, then probably pay for a replacement battery and keep the car until that new battery goes out. So in total, maybe 30 years. :)

Reactions: hey kupo