Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long time MINI Cooper convert!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a software engineer (specializing in video games and flight simulators) - I've been a MINI fan since back they were called "Mini" - I've worked in three different Mini owner's clubs...and restored a few 1960's era cars.

But - after spending half a day crawling over, driving (and occasionally drooling over) my son's Model 3 - I jumped in and ordered one a couple of weeks ago. My wife's Kia was at end of lease, my MINI is all paid for - so it was time to get into what is clearly the future of all cars.

Even if the Tesla wasn't an electric car - and wasn't heading towards full self driving - it's STILL a revolutionary machine in so many ways.

So - next step - join the club - and here I am!

Reactions: VT_EE and TLej
Welcome Steve. Look around. there's a lot to see. I read this often how just one look or one drive, poof, there's a new model 3 owner. I'm tesla'd out with the Model X in our garage however, I've really grown an interest in the car and I'm not even in the market. I had a model S 75, wife fell in love with the X. There went my S to get her X. One day, I hope to have an S again. Model Y looks nice too, oh and there's that truck thing that's probably around the corner. I'm just excited for Tesla and all the new owners! Best of luck and welcome to the Tesla club. It's a cult ya know....

[QUOTE="It's a cult ya know....[/QUOTE]

Same as with the MINI fanatics...although there are a small mountain of options on those cars and a huge collection of after-market vendors selling all sorts of stuff to make it go faster or handle better - so there was a lot to talk about. Roll in the "classic Mini" - which was probably the most popular car in history in the UK - so when the new BMW MINI came out in 2001, there was an instant audience.

Tesla is getting there though - but it may be a while before there are owner's clubs in every major city and meetups where 500 cars show up.

I think that the Model 3 has really woken up the world to what a car should be. It's such a radical departure from the norm - it's going to take the non-gear-head public a while to get their heads around it.

I remember years ago (2001) I had the SS Camaro. While station at the Naval War College in Newport, my son and I use to travel up to New Hampshire Motor Speedway for some SCCA racing. I was so blown away seeing so many Minis and Miata’s at the track. Well, needless to say, the Camaro was not the best car for the track. It was all about 4 wheel steering (drifting at best) I would hope one day to have one of the two and ended up with a Miata. Kept that car for the longest. I believe was a 2007. Then not long ago when we owned the Model S. I had a chance to drive on a real track. We made a day at NOLA motor speedway. I just wonder how well the model 3 would perform on a small SCCA track though.

The Camaro from years gone past

FB_IMG_1461942298497.jpg

The Miata
The Model S on the Avondale, Louisiana, motor speedway.
NOLA Motorsports Park - Karting, Open Track Days, Supercars, & More

Welcome Steve. Look around. there's a lot to see. I read this often how just one look or one drive, poof, there's a new model 3 owner. I'm tesla'd out with the Model X in our garage however, I've really grown an interest in the car and I'm not even in the market. I had a model S 75, wife fell in love with the X. There went my S to get her X. One day, I hope to have an S again. Model Y looks nice too, oh and there's that truck thing that's probably around the corner. I'm just excited for Tesla and all the new owners! Best of luck and welcome to the Tesla club. It's a cult ya know....

As of now...my sister, my father-in-law and by brother-in-law are all suddenly and separately talking about getting Teslas...and we only started seriously considering it when my son got one. So he is "patient zero" in this rapidly spreading infection! :)